canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber and Handyman
64367226

I've has a macerator installed. After the first 3 uses it

I've has a macerator installed. After the first 3 uses it blocked. It was cleared with the purge button. So far it hasn't blocked again but although the water in the pan is clear when first flushed the water quickly turns brown. What can be causing this?

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing and plumbing repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. What is the macerator used for?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Hi Mike, Thanks for getting in touch. The macerator is connected to a WC only. The WC is on my first floor, the pipes drop to the floor below to join the water waste pipe from the kitchen. The macerator has been plumbed with a sort of up and over configuration for the waste pipe. - image attached. I assume I am correct in believing the water in the WC shouldn't be brown?

Thank you for the picture. That helps a lot. So the discharge pipe should have a check valve on it and also the discharge pipe likely needs to be snaked out. When the waste is discharged most of it makes it to the drain pipe but some of the waste that is still in the vertical pipe is falling back into the discharge tank. A check valve is a one way valve to prevent this from happening. There should also be a shut off valve on the discharge pipe so that it can be turned off and serviced.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Thanks for the response. What do you mean by 'snaked out'. You mean the pipe that is like a 'slinky' or a horse shoe at the moment?

There is probably a restriction in that older galvanized drain pipe. Some buildup that will require a plumbing tool to clean out the pipe so it drains freely along with adding the valve and check valve. So basically the problem is a little bit of installer error and a little bit of old pipe with junk buildup in it.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
All pipes and plumbing are brand new.

This is a new house? The galvanized pipe looks a bit old. It is a bit hard to see from the picture. If it is a new house then only the valves would need to be installed then. There should still be a check for any blockage too while the pipes are apart.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
It's an old flat but I've had the WC put where there was no WC before hence the need for the macerator as there is no waste pipe in the location. So you think the possible problem is two fold : 1. The plumbers may not have fitted check value ( or you can see it's not there?) 2. Some waste water isn't getting past the bend in the vertical pipe?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
How should the up and over (slinky) pipe be configured? What do you mean by snake?

Right so the macerator is new but it is still connected to old piping. The old piping that it is connected to is what would need to be snaked out. Snaked out would be referring to using a drain cleaning tool to clean the drain pipe out. So basically the problem is a little bit of installer error and a little bit of old pipe with junk buildup in it.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Sorry, as I said all pipes and plumbing are brand new at this level. The work only adjoins to old plumbing when it joins the outlet pipe from the kitchen at the floor level of the floor below. But thanks.
the pipe that it is connected to is not new. That is the pipe that needs cleaning out.
Especially if it is connected to the kitchen drain pipe. That pipe has years of grease buildup on the inside walls of the pipe that are restricting the flow.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Sorry, things came up. Yes useful thanks but difficult when you can’t actually see everything

Very good. Let me know if I can help further. Mike

canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience: Plumber and Handyman
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I can’t see the ratings option on my phone. I’ll look on my laptop tomorrow

Most excellent