How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Your Own Question
James, Plumber
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 11482
Experience:  Expert at Just Answer
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
James is online now

We have a house that we need to mordenise. However, we don't

This answer was rated:

Hi, we have a house that we need to mordenise. However, we don't have the capital so we are looking to do more diy on it. we will definately need an electrician for the electrics.We need a new bathroom suite and kitchen. Is this something we can do ourselves or do we need to hire a plumber. We also need to remove the boiler cylinder? Any safety aspect we need to consider? There are small cracks on the wall. what can we use for that?

Hi Ester, I'm James, a JustAnswer expert, we offer chargeable services; you may see adverts for me to call you, these are optional services you can purchase.

What you may find useful is to call some local handy men and plumbers in for quotes, as half the battle is the planning and getting the ideas right (not the doing), get them to talk you through what would be require and give you a quote that then helps you work out what your looking at from a material perspective.

Do you and your partner have experience in doing DIY previously?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks James for getting back to me. No I don't have much of experience but have a can do altitude so I can say money as I am a stay at home mum.

No problem, ff its a sealed \ unvented (mains pressured) cyclinder rather than a vented cylinder you will need a qualified plumber as these are notifiable works under building control, if yo havent dont any major plumbing works before I would advise against moving the cylinder as it a link is caused you could be in 1000s of damage to ceiling etc.

As to cracks in walls etc, if they are less than 1mm wide you can use caulk which you squeeze into the hole and can paint directly over.

Do let me know if you need me to clarify anything.

Another option is to find a plumber and electrician who will work with you, so for example a plumber could come in for an hour in the morning to disconnect the cylinder, you then move it cut all the pipes and drill holes etc, and then they come back in test all the pipes and commission it for you in the afternoon - this is common how kitchen fitters work.

As for electrics you could offer to strip out the old electrics remove the face plates, cut holes and even run cable runs to their agreed standards, and then they just come in to test and do the termination.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you James

Please rate the response provided using the star rating at the top of this page.

James and other Plumbing Specialists are ready to help you