James I
James I, Plumber
Experience:  Expert at Just Answer
75967336

I have a stainless steel sink in my kitchen with two bowls.

I have a stainless steel sink in my kitchen with two bowls. Because of frequent turning of the spout from one bowl to the other, the whole tap fixture is becoming very loose. I have had it tightened twice already at considerable cost. Is there nothing that can secure the tap as the rubber washers just do not hack it. I understand he leakage problem but is there nothing like a star washer or something? Other SS users do not seem to have this problem so why am I?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this sink issue?
Customer: It was a new installation when I remodeled the kitchen but this has now been going on for about 6 months.
JA: How long has this been going on with your sink? What have you tried so far?
Customer: As I said about 6 months. Two plumbers have been in and simply tightened the washer underneath.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Nothing I can think of. It is becoming looser every day.

Hi, I'm James, a JustAnswer expert, we offer chargeable services; you may see adverts for me to call you, these are optional services you can purchase.

To confirm is it the washer at the base which is slipping so the entire tap is rotating a the base, which is the issue?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The whole tap is gradually beginning to rotate causing me concern as to the water connections underneath

Please respond here to the question, I have asked customer services to close the duplicate.

As the entire tap is rotating, I would think you do need something thats going to stop it slipping (such as a star washer) on the underside of the sink, this certainly wouldnt hurt, Maybe also a lock nut if the nut is coming lose as well.

These are not normally supplied with taps as standards, and if you not seen other reports of this model of tap having the issue it has to just be down to the combination of tap fitting and basin.

So would go down to your local DIY depot and buy a star washing of that required size, and another nut and see if the two help hold the tap in place.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks. Will give it a try and hopefully resolve the problem. I thoght of using a neoprene washer. Would that help?

It wouldnt hurt, but cant see it would give it the level of friction required in my view.