Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

Trying to repair a Thomas Dudley hydroflo concealed cistern.

Hi, trying to repair a Thomas Dudley hydroflo concealed cistern. The problem is it is running continuously. I wanted to replace a washer (hah!) but find I’m trying to reattach a small bore plastic tube, under water, in a cutout section of the flush valve. I “think” I can feel where the end needs to go, but only with a fingertip, so can’t get any grip or pressure on the pipe to do so. Any ideas would be very, very welcome.
JA: What's the brand and model of your toilet? How old is it?
Customer: Urgh. Very good question, hold on.
JA: What have you tried so far with your toilet?
Customer: Is it the toilet or the cistern you need to know. The cistern part says Thomas Dudley D212A or D595613 and it is about 18 years old
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No, but I’m female with small hands, my husband is the brute strength with larger hands that won’t get in the gap.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please keep trying. Thank you.

I wouldn't attempt to do this underwater as it's a pneumatic tube, so water shouldn't be allowed to enter it.

You should isolate the water supply to the cistern, although that's not vital, and remove the flush valve. You do that by twisting the entire valve anti-clockwise and lifting it out. You'll have to do this anyway, to replace the flush seal.

Many concealed cisterns are installed without much room above them, so you might struggle to get the valve out. You could measure the gap above it first and let me know, and I'll tell you if I think you can get it out without removing the cistern.

Tim Cooke,
Experience: Owner at Self-employed
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. You have confirmed what I thought which means that what should be a very simple task is going to mean some dismantling of structure around the cistern. C’est la vie. Please now cancel the question.