How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tim JA Your Own Question
Tim JA
Tim JA, Engineer
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 2441
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
Tim JA is online now

I live on the end of a terrace of three ex-council houses. I

This answer was rated:

I live on the end of a terrace of three ex-council houses. I have had a problem with my pipes going bang at random times. Sometimes when I have used my water, but not always. This went on for some time and I had someone round to investigate who said that it was water hammer and replaced the stop tap in my house and the noise mainly went away. But then next door was vacated and empty for nearly a year. I carried on using my water supply with no bangs. Then in July, there were new owners next door and then new tenants moved in. Now each time my water is used, there is a bang or two and it's the same when next door use their water. But as they're a large family, they use a lot of water and so there is a lot of bangs. This isn't a vibration but a single bang or series of several bangs.It's very annoying as I live alone so I don't have distractions as the lady on the other side does. She gets the occasional bang but she's at the top near the mains tap, whereas I am at the bottom.I have asked the landlord of next door to look at this issue on several occasions and he has refused. I got the council involved and they asked him to look at this as well, but still nothing has been done.I'm concerned that there could be problems with my pipework in the future. I did record the noise as well so I can send examples. But basically, random bangs through the day and night is getting on my nerves. Can you advise what else I can do at my end to stop this?

It's very likely to be water hammer.

Water regulations require the installation of a non-return valve, to prevent backflow, but these are sometimes absent, and other times they fail. Even when working, these aren't designed to prevent movement in pipes that aren't clipped properly, but they help. Another device that helps is a "shock arrestor". An example of one is here:

As you can see, they're not expensive. Installation is very easy, for a plumber. If you obtain a quote from a local plumber to install one of these, and present it to your landlord, he might be persuaded by the modest price to have it installed in his/your property.. If that reduces your problem, you might then be able to help your neighbour persuade their landlord to install one in their property.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello - thank you for your reply. Is there a way that I can tell if there is a non-return value? Also, if I can get a shock arrestor fitted - would that stop me hearing the bangs from next door's pipes?
If there is a non-return valve it should be fitted close to your main stop cock on the incoming supply. I’ll send a link to an image of one.
See the image here:
If nextdoor has water hammer caused by the lack of a NRV and/or lack of a shock arrestor, then it’s unlikely that fitting anything on your side will stop a noise that originates on their side.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, I don't think I have a non-return valve. I've just had a look under the sink where the pipes are and I've attached a couple of photos. The new stop tap is there and pipework for the washing machine and going upstairs to the bathroom. Nothing looking like the photo from Screwfix.

Yes that's certainly a shiny new stop cock, but I can't see any NRV anywhere. There's enough room in that cupboard to have both a NRV and a shock arrestor.

Tim JA and 3 other Plumbing Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's great, thank you very much for your help.