Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

Are there any legal requirements for access to plumbing in a

Customer Question

Are there any legal requirements for access to plumbing in a loft conversion?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this plumbing issue?
Customer: It's not yet an issue in the sense that my plumbing works fine but it's for building control.
JA: How long has this been going on? What have you tried so far?
Customer: See above. It's a planning question associated with plumbing and access to waste pipes in case of hypothetical problem.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think that's it.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 8 days ago.

Hello, there are no building control requirements for access to waste pipework, only boiler flues.

Water Regulations stipulate that rodding access is provided for certain bends and underground sections, which equate to the use of common sense, and also use of the correct gradient for waste pipework.

A stack with a roof level vent can always be cleared from above, in the unlikely event that it's blocked, but how long do you expect the horizontal pipe runs to be?

If you have a drawing for the planned conversion then you can always attach it here and I'll critique the design.