Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

Nothing in our home has changed but we have had problems

Nothing in our home has changed but we have had problems with the boiler which the gas board say are resolved 4 engineers and 7 visits! Before the problems our heating thermostat was very quickly response but now takes an hour to go up one degree - I am registered disabled and a cold house doesn’t help. One day this week it took 14 hrs to go from 18 - 22 degrees. I am worried about the amount of gas I am using.
JA: Are you getting any error codes or blinking lights on your boiler?
Customer: Only the green blinking light which says it is calling for heat
JA: How long has this been going on with your boiler? What have you tried so far?
Customer: first I had leaking radiators which they corrected as the needle on the boiler was up to three. A week later we had the same problem - again corrected but happened again. A new external expansion valve was then fitted, new batteries in the thermostat and then a new heat exchanger. Before all of this I had no problem with heating. Two engineers were here yesterday and because they attached two thermostats which gave them the same reading, albeit cooler than their hand held devices they say there isn’t a problem. This morning it was 2 hrs going from 18 to 19 degrees
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no, am at a loss to know what to do

Hello, my name is Tim and I'm a heating engineeer.

Clearly the engineers haven't left your system in a working state.
Do you have a contract with British Gas?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Yes

You should write to, or email, British Gas and state these things:

1. That you are not satisified with the work they've done.
2. That your contract entitles you to expect them to visit again and get the system fully working.
3. That they have 14 days to get it fully working.
4. That if they fail, you will engage a competent and qualified engineer to attend and do the work, and that you will hold British Gas liable for the cost of that work.
5. That they need to respond to your letter/email within 48 hours of receipt.

Whereabouts in the UK do you live?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
This may seem like a silly question but do you have an email address please
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Cheltenham

There should be an email address on the documentation for your service contract. Could you check that, and let me know if you can't find one?

You could call them on the phone, ask for the complaints department, and ask for the email address.