How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tim Cooke Your Own Question
Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 794
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
Tim Cooke is online now

My water connection is common pipe with neighbour. When he

This answer was rated:

My water connection is common pipe with neighbour. When he close his tap at that time some banging/hammering noise came at my house. Where as as my house I do same then no any banging/hammering observed

Hello, welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer; my name is ***** ***** I will help you today.

This problem is common in flats and other properties where the supply splits very close to the dwellings.

The answer is two-fold:

1. Your neighbour has no non-return valve (NRV), or has a faulty one.
They should fit/replace an NRV to prevent backflow.
An example of an NRV is this one.

2. You should install a shock arrestor a short distance downstream of your main stopcock. A suitable product is this one. Even when the pipework is 15mm, I still fit a 22mm NRV to mitigate the restrictive nature of the valve.

If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control. My understanding is that you won't be charged if there's no phone call.

Tim Cooke and other Plumbing Specialists are ready to help you