Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

My central heating boiler runs for a while and heats the

Customer Question

My central heating boiler runs for a while and heats the bathroom radiators upstairs but hen cuts out and hot water then pours out of the overflow from the header tank in the loft
JA: What's the brand and model of your central heating? How old is it?
Customer: about 25 years old, the boiler is a Starflow. I changed the pump today as I thought that was the problem
JA: How long has this been going on with your central heating? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the heating has not been on for a while because of the weather. It has happened before and intermittently for a while
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i changed the pump today and the valves either side where not shutting off so I drained it down to below the pump and then did the repair
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 1 month ago.

Good evening, welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer; my name is ***** ***** I will help you today.

Would you say that your system has been kept clean and protected with corrosion inhibitor?

When you drained the system, did the water level in the F&E cistern drop to the height of the outlet?
_____

If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control. My understanding is that you won't be charged if there's no phone call.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it dropped to the level of the outlet
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 1 month ago.

And when you refilled the system, did you successfully vent all upstairs radiators, and get first of all air and then water from each vent?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 1 month ago.

Do you have any motorised zone valves? If so, do they appear to operating as you would expect?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not sure how I expect them to work
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 1 month ago.

OK. How many do you have, and which make/model?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is no resistance on the heating one at the moment
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 1 month ago.

If you remove the heating demand, does the MZV close?

Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 1 month ago.

Good evening, you haven't replied for a few days; do you still need help with your heating?