How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tim JA Your Own Question
Tim JA
Tim JA, Engineer
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 2338
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
Tim JA is online now

I need to replace this inline shut off, My question is just

This answer was rated:

I need to replace this inline shut off
JA: How long have you been dealing with this plumbing issue?
Customer: My question is just landed on my desk
JA: How long has this been going on? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing, it's in a steel pipe, would you say it needs to cut the old one off at one end un screw the other. then extend and re thread.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: that's the base of it

Good afternoon, welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer; my name is ***** ***** I will help you today.

Do you mean this valve? If so, then yes you'll have to cut the pipe and unwind the valve.

Personally, I then would attempt to get access to the next steel connection downstream, unwind that, then make on one of the following adapters to each threaded end:

Then I would use a valve with compression fittings, like the following:

... and couple up from the outlet of the valve to the adapter downstream.

What's the gauge of the steel pipework?

If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control. My understanding is that you won't be charged if there's no phone call.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you got me there, I'm a none plumber you may have guessed we have two sizes one 22mm one 15mm

If you can measure the pipework on each side of the valve then I can tell you the specific products to buy. I have assumed 1" steel pipework in the information above, but other sizes are available.

Are you planning to do the work yourself? What is the original problem that you want to overcome?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I'm not doing it! The issues is I cant completely turn of the water it still comes through when in the off position. I just want all the information I can before I decide what to do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the practicality is all I need really, when it gets down to it I'll worry more about sizes and stuff

OK I understand. What else can I do to help at this stage? :-)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I got it thanks for your help. If I think of more I'll msg you thanks

Okey dokey. This is an opportune moment to ask if you wouldn't mind rating my assistance, using the 5 stars at the top of the page. The customer's rating is what enables an expert to be paid for their time, so I hope I was helpful to you.

Tim JA and other Plumbing Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your rating :-)