Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I need to change a shower that hasnt been used for over 2

I need to change a shower that hasnt been used for over 2 years, I'm worried about legionnaires disease, how can I change it safely, it is an electric show
JA: How long have you been dealing with this shower issue?
Customer: I've not dealt with it yet due to the risk of legionnaires
JA: How long has this been going on with your shower? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything yet, I dont want to disconnect it due to the risk of legionnaires
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No

Good morning, welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will help you today.

Is the shower still operational?
_____

If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control. My understanding is that you won't be charged if there's no phone call.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
as far I'm aware, I'm changing it due to the fact it wasn't heating up, but it's not been tried for a very long time

It's very easy and safe to deal with this.

All you need to do is remove the shower handset, run the shower on its coldest setting, and let water run through the unit and the hose and into the bath/tray. 2 minutes will be plenty enough to flush it through. If you're concerned about your hands then wash them afterwards.

The risk from Legionalla bacteria is all from breathing airborne cells. The reason that showers present a greater risk is because of the spray from the shower handset and the atomised water being breathed in while showering. You're correct to be cautious, but the bacteria are nowhere near as easy to transmit as SARS-COV-1 or -2, and they do not to even grow when the water temperature is below 20C.

For more background information, see this web site.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Is there no risk of there being any bacteria left in the pipes afterwards, with it having stagnant water in it for so long

The purpose of running the shower for 2 minutes is to flush out the water than contains the bacteria.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Brilliant, thanks ever so much for your help

You;re very welcome :-)

Thank you for your rating :-)