Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

We have a large horizontal radiator (1600mm) in the kitchen,

We have a large horizontal radiator (1600mm) in the kitchen, we want to replace with a vertical one and put cabinets in the place of the old radiator.
Unfortunately, the pipes are buried beneath quarry tiles, which we don't want to dig through incase we cause more damage. If it was wooden floors, removing wouldn't be an issue so how do we get round this one?
JA: When did you last replace or repair the pipes? Is the air around the pipes humid or dry?
Customer: The rads have been in since property was built in 1960s. Has not been replaced since
JA: How long has this been going on with your pipes? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Haven't tried anything yet
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no thats it

Good morning, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will help you today. There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

When you change radiator width by such a large amount you have only three choices:

1. Modify the pipe(s) below floor level;
2. Modify the pipe(s) above floor level;
3. Chase the pipe(s) into the wall.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks. I had thought of running the pipe through the wall, but thought there might be another way. Also want to install an electric shower and run the feed directly from the mains rather than the cold water storage tank as the pressure is so low. Is that a good thing to do or not?

Regarding the shower, there's potentially a lot of choice depending on what kind of system you have. You would need to start a new question for that topic. You can nominate me to answer it if you want to continue from this point.