James I
James I, Plumber
Experience:  Expert at Just Answer
75967336

My heating is working upstairs but not downstairs. I think

Customer Question

Hi my heating is working upstairs but not downstairs. I think it’s the thermostat as the one downstairs doesn’t fire up the boiler
JA: What's the brand and model of your thermostat? How old is it?
Customer: it is a danfoss one and around 9 years old
JA: How long has this been going on with your thermostat? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I’ve only tried my heating in the past 3 weeks, I’ve had the radiators bled by my dad but assuming it is the thermostat as the one upstairs fires the boiler up and heating is fine. I have tried turning radiators off upstairs to try the ones downstairs see if they turn up then but nothing
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no that’s pretty much it
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  James I replied 8 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

This is James, I'm a Plumbing Technician with over 10 years of experience, and I'll be assisting you today

Sorry to hear your appliance is having issues, please stand by while I find the answer for you, this is not an immediate service however I will try and respond as soon as possible.
What is the model number of your thermostat?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi it says it is a TP4000/Tp5000si/TP50000/TP5001+RF but there is also 40704 on there too. Many thanks
Expert:  James I replied 8 days ago.

So you have two thermostats (one for upstairs and one for downstairs heating), if the downstairs stat shows no demand for heat (which is shown by the presence of a flame at the top right) even when set to manually ON this points to a faulty thermostat.

Where there is demand for heat shown on the stat but no demand received by the boiler check to see if the zone valve is open, if it is then its likely a faulty micro switch.

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask them!
My goal is to offer you the best possible experience!
If you need further assistance, please use the answer box below and let me know. It has been a pleasure to be of service to you!

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you. I reset the thermostat receiver that is located next to the boiler also hoping that it would help. There are 2 lights (for each thermostat) on the receiver to connect with when the thermostats are switched on. Now neither are connecting to it without me manually pressing the channel buttons on now.
I’m completely baffled.
Sorry for the hassle.
Expert:  James I replied 8 days ago.

Where the receiver is failing to allow the stats to bind it suggests the receiver is fault and thus a new receiver should be fitted.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have now turned off the thermostat upstairs so no temp set and even taken batteries out and when I press the Ch1 button that’s linked to it the light goes red and boiler fires up with radiators start warming up.
Expert:  James I replied 7 days ago.

Thats just because you have used the override feature, as mentioned if the stats will not pair you need to replace them or the receiver, otherwise leave them disconnect and user the manual override button to turn the boiler on and off when you require heat.