Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have a Bristan VLV 04044 shower valve which is broken and

Customer Question

I have a Bristan VLV 04044 shower valve which is broken and needs replacementTha VLV 04044 is obselete. How can I repair the existing valve or find an alternative?Thanks
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 19 days ago.

Good afternoon, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will help you today.

I'm sorry to hear of the problem with your VLV 04044.

I'd be surprised if it can't be serviced. Could you tell me more about the nature of it being "broken"?
_____

There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
The spline where the tap handle should attach has broken off ( the photo is of a working valve)
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
How could I identify an alternative shaft and could potentially replace it?
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 19 days ago.

There are several ways of approaching this:

1. Search for old stock.
2. Request a drawing from Bristan and commission a new part from a machine shop,
3. As 2, but get the component 3D printed.
4. Search for a similar valve and try to match the spindle.
5. Get the two broken parts brazed together, and get the brazed area turned down on a lathe until it's the original diameter.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Superb!!!
Tanks for the ideas..
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 19 days ago.

I've succeeded in doing #5 before, and the next time I encountered this problem I was planning to do #3. I would still do #1 in parallel to any other action. You might find a secondhand valve on eBay.