Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have an antique cast iron high-level cistern. I bought a

Customer Question

I have an antique cast iron high-level cistern. I bought a flush pipe kit to attach it to the toilet, but it did not include anything to actually attach the pipe to the cistern itself. No nuts, gaskets, or washers.
JA: When did you last replace or repair the pipes? Is the air around the pipes humid or dry?
Customer: This is all new fitting, the pipe is brand new and the cistern is newly refurbished
JA: How long has this been going on with your pipe? What have you tried so far?
Customer: been trying to find a fitting that would work, but no luck. The pipe is 32mm and the cistern outlet for it is about 55mm externally
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that I can think of
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 21 days ago.

Good evening, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will help you today.

Conventionally, the nut and seal to attach to the flush valve (or siphon outlet) comes with the valve. What type of valve is in the cistern?

_____

There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
It has a large bell-shaped thing attached to the pull chain. So when you pull the chain the bell lifts up and allows water to flow down the flush pipe to the toilet.
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 21 days ago.

You can probably get the nut in a plumbers' merchant, but first I would contact whoever refurbished it and ask them to provide it.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I tried the seller first and he basically said 'I just refurbish them, get a plumber to install it'. My dad took the cistern itself around all the local plumbers merchants with no luck
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 21 days ago.

Well, the seller has supplied something that's incomplete.

If you can give me precise measurements I'll make enquiries. I need the inside diameter of the valve spigot, and the outside diameter, i.e. to the peak of the threads

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
It is 40mm inside, 40mm waste pipe fits inside it snugly. The outside is 54mm at the widest.
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 21 days ago.

OK. No promises, but I'll see what I can do.