Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

We have 3 toilets in the house and they are rotating having

Customer Question

We have 3 toilets in the house and they are rotating having low pressure and trouble flushing. What could this mean?
JA: What's the brand and model of your toilet? How old is it?
Customer: They’re about 17 years old there’s no brand on them sorry.
JA: How long has this been going on with your toilet? What have you tried so far?
Customer: On and off for a couple of months. One works then doesn’t then a different works then doesn’t. We manually fill the cistern and that was working but now that’s not working on two but the other one is flushing fine!
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It’s just started that the manually filling isn’t helping. Two toilets are upstairs a d one is down. The downstairs stopped working first but that’s okay at the moment!
Category: Plumbing
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
We have been waiting an hour which was estimated at 8 minutes. Please can you let me know when we’ll get a response. Thanks
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 5 days ago.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Please continue
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 5 days ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** I’ll help you today.

It’s unlikely that the toilet problems are related – I expect you have at least three independent fault. Fortunately, toilet problems are usually simple to fix.

For each toilet, please could you answer the following questions?

1. Does the cistern fill up?

2. Does it stop filling at the correct level?

3. Does water trickle into the pan before you flush?

4. Does it attempt to flush?

5. What type of flush valve or siphon do you have?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi, thank you1. The cisterns on all 3 toilets intermittently don’t fill fully. Currently toilet 1 does fill enough to flush, but 2 & 3 don’t. Toilet 1 was the first that stopped working a couple of months ago, at that time the others worked but they’ve each worked intermittently. So they’ve all been on and off with the problem. We could manually fill them by holding down the fill valve.2. Toilets 2&3 are currently stopping filling before the correct level but toilet 1 is filling fully (although intermittently hasn’t been!).3. Not for any toilet.4. Yes, toilet 1 is currently flushing. 2&3 aren’t and aren’t flushing even when we manually fill as there is no ‘power’.5. We have a handle that flushes the toilets. I’m not sure about the siphon. It says free flow.
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 5 days ago.

OK.

Toilet 2:

Since it isn’t trickling, but isn’t filling, there’s a problem with the filling valve.  Please could you attach a photo of it?

Toilet 3:

As per Toilet 1.

____

6. Is the supply from the cold mains or from a storage cistern (in the loft, for example)?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks. I’ve attached a pic of toilet 2. How do I find out where the supply comes from? We do have a tank in the loft.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
File attached (QQGTGQ7)
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you. Does that need to be replaced for toilet 2 then?What do you think about 1&3? Thanks
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 4 days ago.

Oh dear, sorry, there’s a typo in one of my posts.

“As per toilet 1” should have been “As per toilet 2”.

Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 4 days ago.

Toilet 1 is filling and flushing. What is the symptom with that one?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thanks very much. Toilet 1 is okay at the moment but it is on and off needing ‘manually’ filling before flushing. Would you say to basically replace the washer in all 3? Is that a relatively easy job? Thanks
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 4 days ago.

It is easy. I’m about to leave my desk but will be back this evening and can give you guidance.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
That’s great, thank you
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 4 days ago.

You will need a means of isolating each cistern from its water supply. It’s commonplace to have an isolating valve on the pipe just below the cistern, but sometimes there isn’t! Do you have those?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Is it this? Thanks
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 4 days ago.

Yes that’s an isolating valve. Use a big enough screwdriver or the slot is easily damaged on those valves.