Tim JA
Tim JA, Engineer
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have a dripping kitchen tap that drips from the base. The

I have a dripping kitchen tap that drips from the base. The tap is very old. Can this be fixed or is it cheaper to replace the tap?

Good evening, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

When you see water collecting at the tap base, it's always coming from higher up. Depending on the tap, it could be caused by worn O rings on the spout. Or it could be a leak from a spindle gland.

Can you tell me the make and model of the tap, or attach a photo of it?

_____

There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

You might see automated adverts for phone support. I'm not available for a phone call today, but we can continue via this Q&A topic.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I live in a rented property and assume the tap is older than me. The limescale shows where the leaks coming from. I managed to remove a build up of limescale which is now causing the leak

Yes that's definitely the result of worn O rings. They can be replaced, but if the leak is long term then the brass socket in the tap body is likely to be worn, which means it would probably still leak. A new tap is likely to be a better option. Are you thinking of doing the work yourself?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well I'm thinking of getting my dad in to help as I've never changed a tap! I've seen videos on DIY store websites about changing taps and they make it look easy....are they lying to me

Lying seems an odd word to use, so I doubt it.

Things are always easy when they go well. When you hit a snag, or when the access is awkward, it isn't easy. But you don't have much to lose by having a go.

My top tip is to make sure that you have isolating valves, then you would have water to the rest of the house and that reduces the time pressure to get the new tap installed.

A second tip: choose the tap to suit your installation. If you have gravity fed hot, then buy a tap made for low pressure and that has 15mm copper tails, not flexible hoses.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was joking about the lying. I just meant did they make it sound easier than it is.
Thanks so much for the tips. I will look into the taps because I have a feeling my water is gravity fed hot water.
Thanks for your help! I may be back asking questions in a few days when it all goes wrong

You're welcome. I'll leave this topic open so that you can return with follow-up questions, BTW, you'll probably need these box spanners:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/monument-tools-monobloc-spanner-set-5-pcs/6057H

I hope you enjoyed your experience with JustAnswer so far.

Have a wonderful evening:-)