Tim JA
Tim JA, Engineer
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I need shower pump advice, 10 years! Not much but I know I

I need shower pump advice
JA: How long have you been dealing with this shower issue?
Customer: 10 years!
JA: How long has this been going on with your shower? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not much but I know I need a pump
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Cold water tank level with shower. Just under 1ltr water in 1 minute. No head pressure.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Which type of pump do I need? Single or twin? Positive, negative or universal? The cold tank is level with shower, no head pressure at all. Just under 1ltr water in one minute.

Good evening, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

A pump might solve one problem but give you a different problem.

To answer your question, you would need a negative-head pump. Some manufacturers tend to call this a "universal" pump.

Now then, almost every pump manufacturer will stipulate a 50 gallon cold storage cistern, to make sure that the pump never runs dry. Be wary if you have a tiny cistern. And if you install a twin-impeller pump, you'll empty the cistern twice as quickly.

Have you considered going fully mains pressure, instead of fitting a pump?
_____

There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

You might see automated adverts for phone support. I'm not available for a phone call today, but we can continue via this Q&A topic.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. I don't know what my other options are as I'm definitely no plumber. How easy/what do you mean by mains pressured? Will this mean having a electric shower fitted instead? My current shower is literally just a mixer with a hose and shower head.

Not an electric shower, although of course there is that option.

To achieve a "mains pressure" system you would remove the existing cylinder and have an unvented vessel installed. There are some places that are unsuitable, but there are vented thermal stores that can provide mains pressure hot water without the need for a discharge pipe. It needs a brief survey of your installation to see what would give you the best shower performance for the lowest long term cost.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh no, I'm not a homeowner so that's out of it. I'll probably need to just get a plumber round to advise, that way they can see what size the cold tank is (quite big and round, not the rectangle shape) and also if there's enough space in my airing cupboard for a pump in the first instance ha! It's just I've lived here 10 years now and fed up with baths and drip drip showers where I have to sit in the bath without the head on the hose. I could cry lol
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** you've helped that if it is the pump option, I know what they need to get and won't rip me off getting the incorrect one thus incurring more call outs (I know how some work)

I strongly recommend that you start by finding someone you can trust. Ask everyone you know (whose judgement you trust) to recommend a plumber to you. There are many more honest and diligent plumbers than rogue ones.