Tim JA
Tim JA, Engineer
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I need to design a brand new pluming lines in to a bedroom

I need to design a brand new pluming lines in to a bedroom which will be converted into a bathroom. I want to do this my self. I am highly educated and fallow good instructions. So it will be all the required rules concerning Scotland pluming rules
JA: How long have you been dealing with this plumbing issue?
Customer: 1st time
JA: How long has this been going on? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing- are you a BOT?
JA: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the plumber more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: get a real human then

Good afternoon, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

What help and advice do you need?
_____

There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

Good afternoon, I haven't heard back from you.
If you let me know your intentions I can give you specific guidance.  In the meantime, you might find the following information useful:
https://www.houzz.co.uk/magazine/bathroom-planning-what-to-ask-before-turning-a-bedroom-into-a-bathroom-stsetivw-vs~55213975

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hello I am here, Is there a way I can know you are an UK qualified plumber? Where did you study initially pls? I want to send you a plans and a video and so you can work out what I need to kit my walls and floors out for the entire pluming design. This means you will work out gradients, pipes, where all things goes, how to step by step list of my shopping items and how to fix all, what I need on to the walls. Just to ask a very simple question to you what do you think the diameter is needed for the shower waste pipe joining to a kitchen pipe? Do you think you can work on something like this? How much?

I have 35 years of plumbing experience, and I've been vetted by Just Answer and am qualified to answer questions in this technical category, but I don't know if that satisfies your definition of "qualified".

Please be aware that JustAnswer is an online only technical assistance service, and unfortunately we don't provide engineers who can visit you. This is a low cost service aimed at answering fairly routine questions on plumbing (and other topics). You haven't [yet] paid for someone to design your bathroom and provide a bill of materials. It sounds as though you want to engage a plumber to work on your project. How much that person charges is very much up to them.

To answer your specific question about a shower waste pipe diameter, the answer is that it needs to be a minimum of 40mm, but it might need to increase if the run is long or if other waste pipes branch in along the way. You said that it will join to a "kitchen pipe", but that's ambiguous - a kitchen pipe could mean almost anything.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
OK great, you sound an expert, as I have never used here no idea what is on offer.
I have designed the bathroom, I will buy the sanitary fittings. I am OK with building/carpentry work but no experience in plumbing at all.... I can call you on video based call and explain the assumed gradient/drop of the plumbing lines. Previously about he kitchen pipe: I mean it will join the under the kitchen's sink waste pipe lines that's pipe, then go out to main waste. So the pipe will run from at least 3meters 20cm high drop from to kitchen's ceiling then fix on the kitchens walls, externally then I box it in, as the shower is on 1st floor and no way of taking the pipe through floor boards, so I was told to make hole in the floor on 1st floor fro the under shoer tray ? or to wall by side then run into kitchen below. So yes it will come long ways I guess - So really I need only a pipe and fitting shopping list inc water in and out - how it works in real if you kit out a pipe line basically- What do you think?

I think you need a plumber who's local to you, and with whom you can arrange to be able to consult as and when you need. Your project is large - not to me personally, but as I've said this is a low-cost service aimed at answering questions about quite narrow issues.

At the moment you're at the early stages, but if you have a specific question(s) then I'm happy to answer it(/them).

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Oh yes I cannot find anyone thats why I am going to do it my self.. So thanks anyway

There are tens of thousands of plumbers in the UK. Do you live somewhere very remote where it's difficult to find one?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Oh well there came 9 different ones and non gave prices and all said they are booked for 5 months- i am near Edinburgh in Scotland- i am a web designer but should have studied plumbing i think - do you want to do it? Where are you?

I'm about 370 miles away. Also, I wouldn't be able to start until January 2022.

Did you ask them to undertake the whole project, or just act on a consulting basis?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I don’t mind. No one is to be found. I can wait, but I will keep looking, and let you know on Nov if I still haven’t found any one,

I wish you luck in your search.