Tim JA
Tim JA, Engineer
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I am installing a new toilet on the ground floor. I have an

I am installing a new toilet on the ground floor. I have an upstairs toilet, when flushed. Water fills the toilet down stairs toilet and i have standing water in the Y-bend that connects to the downstairs toilet.I have cleared the soil pipe for 6M, so no blockage from toilet to outside tank.Please advise and thank you for you help

Good evening, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

Please could you draw, and attach, a simple sketch showing all of the connections to this soil stack? Then I can advise you on what might be happening.

_____

There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
When i run the shower water builds up in the Y-bend, and it floods the downstairs toilet.
I have cleared the soil stack with an Auger twisting the wire for 6 metre, so theres no blockage in the soil pipe.
Im not sure if the soil pipe is properly vented, ir blocked from the roof.

Please could you draw, and attach, a simple sketch showing all of the connections to this soil stack? It will speed things up - then I can advise you on what might be happening.

It was nice talking to you. In summary, I believe the underground foul waste pipe is partially blocked, or the septic tank is full, or both. I recommend that you book a drainage contractor to visit with some haste - not tonight, but certainly tomorrow.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hello TimIve found the problem, it was the tank in front of my house.It was blocked, and the cause of it was roots. Somehow roots got inside and grew so much, it blocked the clay pipe.But, i got it cleared and drains perfectly.Youve been a great help, and pointed my confidence in the right direction, thus resolving the problem.Thank you so much Tim, your great value.Kindest regards Don

Hi Don

You're very welcome; I'm glad that I could help. That's a good result :-)

Another tip - if there has been root incursion once, then it can happen again. Whatever tree or bush was responsible should be removed, if that's possible.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Very pleased with the help and advice, excellent rating for Tim and his service
Don

Thank you Don :-)