Tim JA
Tim JA, Engineer
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I am trying to replace the handle on my toilet cistern. The

I am trying to replace the handle on my toilet cistern. The level which pulls the flush is stuck onto the metal rod leading to the handle. Please may I have advice on how to remove this. I've tried WD40, and vinegar. Thank you.
JA: Who makes your toilet? How old is it?
Customer: The toilet was probably fitted in the 1970's. Sorry don't know the make.
JA: The Plumber can help you find the model number for your toilet; I'll connect you shortly. How long has this been going on with your toilet? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've applied WD40 to the metal rod. Also Vinegar as I wondered if it is stuck on due to limescale build-up?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I've also tried fitting a wrench to the ring part of the lever to see if that would help move it.

Good evening, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

Please attach a photo showing the parts that you're trying to separate,
_____

There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I am sending a close-up view of the plastic lever on the metal rod, plus one taken further away, to give you context. I have removed the screw! I think it is corrosion on the metal rod, so how do I overcome that please?

Ah yes, these are usually unpleasant to remove. What usually works for me is to use a pair of pump pliers, or similar grips, to squeeze the lever arm towards the end of the spindle. You position one jaw on the end of the spindle, and the other on the side of the plastic arm that's further from the spindle, and squeeze. As soon as it moves, it will get easier.

If you want to file off the modules on the spindle first, it can help.

Sometimes they don't move, and then I just hacksaw the plastic arm off. They don't put up much of a fight against a saw blade :-)

Thank you for your rating.  I'm glad that I could help.

I hope you enjoyed your experience with JustAnswer.

Have a wonderful weekend :-)