James
James, Plumber
Experience:  Expert at Just Answer
75967336

Its regarding pressure on our expansion vessel, I've just

Customer Question

its regarding pressure on our expansion vessel
JA: How long have you been dealing with this plumbing issue?
Customer: I've just spotted it
JA: How long has this been going on? What have you tried so far?
Customer: A few hours - I have not touched it
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have a photo - the pressure has crept past 3 bar and I'm concerned it's too high.
Category: Plumbing
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
We've just turned the boiler off as precaution
Expert:  James replied 16 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! This is James, I'm a Plumbing Technician with over 10 years of experience, and I'll be assisting you today

Sorry to hear your appliance is having issues, please stand by while I find the answer for you, this is not an immediate service however I will try and respond as soon as possible.
I assume this is a red expansion vessel for your central heating which is showing 3 bar, and after the boiler being switched off for half hour or so has the pressure started to reduce again or remian high?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
James, that's correct.
The pressure did come down, and now it's between 2-3.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Should I bleed water from radiators to get the pressure down further?
Expert:  James replied 16 days ago.

In reality the boiler will have a high pressure cut out if it exceed pressure beyond tolerance, and there is also a pressure release valve which will open to vent water. The cause is most likely the expansion vessel needs re-pressurising (if working fine previously) or undersized for the property (and need replacing if you a new to the property).

Its nothing which should give you concerns to use the boiler tonight but would get a heating engineer to come out and service the boiler (if not done recently) or at least test the expansion vessel.

It was a pleasure to assist you today. I hope the above answers the question. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks James, that's a relief. So it's not too much of a worry if that indicator creeps towards (or reaches) 4 bar? I just want to make sure I can switch the boiler on for hot water in the morning.I will call someone out tomorrow to have a look.
Expert:  James replied 14 days ago.

Correct the unit will release the pressure if it does exceed 4, but it is something which needs looked into.