James
James, Plumber
Experience:  Expert at Just Answer
75967336

I noticed a fews weeks ago a series of brownish stains on

Customer Question

Hi!I noticed a fews weeks ago a series of brownish stains on the skirting board between the sink and toilet in my bathroom.I'm not sure what is the problem. Is it just water damage from splashes from the sink? Or something more serious?Should I replace the skirting all together?Thanks for your help!
JA: How long have you been dealing with this sink issue?
Customer: Couple of weeks
JA: How long has this been going on with your sink? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've just cleaned the skirting. The stains come off but then come back. They appeared around 3 weeks ago
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I can send you pictures?
Category: Plumbing
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (77P4G7S)
Expert:  James replied 14 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! This is James, I'm a Plumbing Technician with over 10 years of experience, and I'll be assisting you today

Sorry to hear your having issues with marks on the skirting board.

The brown stains looks like marks caused from water dripping on to the skirting, its unusual as there are not signs of marks on the wall, I would start by checking to see if the skirting is damp to the touch as if you scrub the skirting the marks come away or if just results in paint flaking away.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you - the skirting indeed does seem damp and the marks do come away if I scrub it.
Expert:  James replied 14 days ago.

Ok I would monitor it over next few weeks and check the floor is not wet, but suspect it is just marks from water in the basin splashing around.

It was a pleasure to assist you today. I hope the above answers the question. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know.