Tim JA
Tim JA, Engineer
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

We have a Carron Phoenix mono mixer tap in the kitchen sink

Customer Question

Hello, we have a Carron Phoenix mono mixer tap in the kitchen sink and it is leaking at the spout (where the water comes out). This does not happen all the time, some days it leaks, some days it doesn't. It's been like this for a couple of months and the frequency of leak days and intensity of the leak is increasing in the past week. Is this something we can attempt to fix ourselves, like replacing a small piece? It is about 4.5 years old. Thanks
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Tim JA replied 9 days ago.

Good evening, and welcome to the Technical section in Just Answer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear of your tap problem.

This leak is caused by wear and/or ageing of the O rings that seal the spout to the tap body. Usually, there is a small grub screw at the back, that secures the spout. After removing the screw you need to pull the spout vertically upwards while gently twisting it. This can be awkward, and sometimes the spout is reluctant.

Before you tackle the job I recommend that you obtain an O ring kit. If you can't get one then do the job at the start of a weekday so that you can take it to some plumbers merchants to try and match the O rings. There is a vast range of sizes.