JamesI
JamesI, Electrician
Experience:  James has 7 years expereince managing and support pool plant equipmant for swimming pools.
75967336

I have a gecko spa control unit bit having problems with

Hi I have a gecko spa control unit bit having problems with power
Assistant: Who manufactured the spa?
Customer: It is an ultimate spa with gecko control unit
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just need help trouble shooting as the RCD is on but no power but if I switch the rotary isolation switch off and on the spa powers up again

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

Right and are you saying at some point the RCD trips, and when you reset the RCD it wont come back on until you turn the isolation switch again?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi the RCD is not tripping at all
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
But the power goes off on completely and the spa is off, there is a rotaty isolation switch And if I turn it off and then on again the spa works perfectly until several hours later the spa goes dead again - it is like there is not power even though no RCD has blown but by switching off the power on and off again the spa comes back to life

Ok this sounds like the main board has developed a fault, where components overheat or you have a short on say the pump the appliance can go into a fault state.

Since these faults dont occur for hours after use (so cant be induced by say starting a heating cycle or circulation cycle) its going to be hard to prove, but the fact it doesnt trip when in use, would suggest to me the intermittent fault is on the PCB.

The first thing to do is inspect the board and check the components (pump, heater and sensors when in use) which I think will all prove to be operating in range, when the fault occurs I would also disconnect the connection for the display\control panel and reconnect it to see if that makes a difference (my assumption is it wont) but once ruled out it can only really be the PCB.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
All the components seem to work well under full load and all together so don’t think any issues there and seems to die when only on standby rather than when in use like in the middle of the night
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The spa is under warranted but the company I bought it from are very difficult as they want to charge a fortune up front to send an engineer out and I can see that it will be a long saga to prove the fault and rectify it - as it is a holiday cottage we have guests staying all the time I think easier for me to just purchase a new gecko in.yt7 control box as easy to replace - just wanted to check that I was not missing something obvious before I spend £650 on a replacement

Understood, the warranty will be RTB so just tell them you will send them the control board, or if its under a year old contact Geko directly with the serial number of the board and they probably handle warranty claim on the part direct.

However I cant see anything occurring at night which would cause a trip other than the PCB, since after use it goes into filtration and calls on ozone, circulation pumps and heater etc and if its not tripping for hours into that 'standby' the components are unlikely to be the cause.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
What does RTB mean please thank you for your help

ATB = Return to base.

Is three anything else I can assist you with?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi james thanks for your help- I have already ordered another control box so will fit and return the defective one to the company I bought it from to see if they can find the fault- thanks phil

No problem appreciate if you can rate the response provided using the star rating at the top of this page.