Tim JA
Tim JA, Electrician
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have been wrestling for weeks trying to get a waterproof

Customer Question

Hello There
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have been wrestling for weeks trying to get a waterproof seal connecting a 40mm white pic flex pool hose (no cuff i.e. cut in half) to a 38mm female hose tail.
JA: Who manufactured the pool?
Customer: Problem is at the 40mm side - have a 40mm - 38mm adaptor
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if possible but at this stage will do anything to complete this "simple" job ...and getting zero support / advice form Bestway or Splash and Relax -useless bunch !
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I cut through the 40mm Bestway hose to connect it to the outlet of my new heat pump (via a 50mm- 38mm reduction hose tail - male screw in )
Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bestway
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
problem seems to be that the 40mm pipe that i cut does now not have a cuff
can't connect / seal to the new 40mm - 38mm reducer i bought today - even with plumbers tape and 2 jubilee clips
Expert:  Tim JA replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon, welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer; my name is ***** ***** I will help you today.

Please attach a photo showing the parts that you're trying to connect.

Also, what are you trying to seal in? What pressure is it going to have to withstand?
_____

If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control. My understanding is that you won't be charged if there's no phone call.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pic of adaptor is the top section i am trying to join i.e. 40mm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pic of hose is the 40mm cut flex Bestway hose i am trying to comment with a "drip free" seal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
connect - sorry
Expert:  Tim JA replied 1 year ago.

Two questions:

1. What's the difference between a "seal" and a "drip-free seal"?
2. What will be the maximum working pressure inside this hose?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
normal pool pressure for a 18 ft by 9 ft above ground beltway pool - now connected to a Hydro Pro P12 Heatpump
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Require a water tight seal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any ideas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3.5 kpa
Expert:  Tim JA replied 1 year ago.

It can't possibly be 3.5 kPa.

Is this pipe going to contain water that's under pump pressure?
____

Whilst I'm interested in the above question, partly it's academic because you're really fighting a losing battle trying to effect a seal using the equipment in your photos. The grey adapter in your second photo is designed to be inserted into smooth-walled pipe, and the white corrugated hose is unlikely to seal on anything except a plain spigot.

I'd like to help, but I need to know what you're trying to connect to what. What is the 38mm pipe that you're referred to, and what is the 40mm pipe connected to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 40mm “cut pipe” is coming from pool under pressure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 38mm is connected to the heat pump
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I connect the cut 40mm flex hose to the 38 mm flex hose - that is the question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
38 mm has a cuff to connect to - the 40mm does not hence the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Latest pic is blue 38mm flex hose with cuff
Expert:  Tim JA replied 1 year ago.

Yes I understand the question, and that latest photo is very useful, but bear in mind that I might have other solutions to offer if I can see more of what you have to work with. For example, how does the 40mm pipe connect to the pool outlet?

Is 40mm the internal or the external diameter of the white flexible hose?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ideally need to know what connector to use
Expert:  Tim JA replied 1 year ago.

You're focusing too much on the concept of a connector between the two pipes. There might be other solutions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
40mm connect to pool outlet via std bestway fitting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
40mm is internal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As a matter of interest are you a plumber
Expert:  Tim JA replied 1 year ago.

I do plumbing professionally, yes.

I'm trying to look at the big picture, because at the outset you said that you "at this stage will do anything to complete this "simple" job". However, I don't know lots of things, viz:

1. The type of 50mm connection you have at the outlet of the heat pump;
2. The type of 38mm connection you have at the pool inlet;
3. The pressure and temperature that the interconnecting pipe/hose has to withstand.
4. The horizontal distance and any height difference between pump and pool.

If you can tell me those things, or at least move me toward knowing them, I can give you a solution that is not a horrible kludge using an adapter that doesn't suit what you've currently got.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To be honest if you were a specialist with pools and Spa’s given the information I have given you we would have a solution by now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nobody said d there would be a £16 phone call - which I would be happy to pay if I was under the impression you you have a solution ....which I am not !
Expert:  Tim JA replied 1 year ago.

You've given almost no information, and if you were a plumber or a pool specialist then you would know that there are countless different types of fittings and sizes, and that not all sizes are measured to the same tolerance by all manufacturers. If I were there then I would have fixed it by now, however you are my eyes and ears and hands, so withholding the answers to my questions seems like a strange approach. But it's your pool, and it's your right to be secretive.

Regarding the phone call, please read my very first post to you, which said "If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control."

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No secrets mate - std pool heat pump circuit - all info provided
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you give me the solution and it works I will give you £20 - seems reasonable under the circumstances
Expert:  Tim JA replied 1 year ago.

Please provide the following information:

There's no such thing as "standard", so if you can't describe the type of connection then please attach photos.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First photo this am is 40mm white flex hose coming out of Bestway pool (std Bestway fitting)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Second photo this am is the leaking connection - dripping on white side (sent you pics of hosetails - adaptors yesterday
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dripping connection is a tight 40mm- 40mm connection with plumbers tape and two jubilee clips
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Third pic this am is the heat pump connection which are fine - hosetails provides by supplier
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4th pic this am is the system pic for reference
Expert:  Tim JA replied 1 year ago.

I've just seen your post timed at 10:42 that says "If you give me the solution and it works I will give you £20". That's shabby, when all I had asked for was information. If I'd seen before that I would have opted out straight away. I will opt out now and let another expert help.

Expert:  oleksandrav-mod replied 1 year ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Oleksandra-Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why have you debited my card £30 , I require an immediate refund . Your website is a scam and needs to be reported and recorded as such