Tim JA
Tim JA, Electrician
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I would like to know what would cause a pcb board to burn

Customer Question

I would like to know what would cause a pcb board to burn out and need replacing and also a heater at the same time
JA: Have you replaced your heater or parts of it before? If so, how long ago?
Customer: I have only just purchased the spa but it is a used spa so I don't know that answer
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I was told by the company I bought it from that the cause was due to my power going off in my house. It is a plug and play spa
Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Bought the used spa 30th July. Power went off to my house 14th August. Spa was not heating afterwards. Had engineer out and replaced pcb board and heater and they said that it was due to the power cut/surge damaging equipment. So I had to pay for repairs as was not covered under warranty.
Expert:  Tim JA replied 12 days ago.

Good afternoon, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

There are many components on the PCB, therefore many possible causes of failure. A power surge is a possible cause, but that would not normally damage a heater element.

Are you saying that both components failed at the same time? Were they both working recently?

_____

There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The engineer said that I needed both components so they are saying both components failed at the same time. They were both working for 14 days. Then my spa stopped heating. I bought the spa as I have said from a company that deals in used spas and they gave me a one year warranty but said that this repair was not covered on the warranty as the cause was due to a power cut / surge.
The spa is connected to a outside three pin socket with rcd which then goes into a dedicated fused spur which then goes into the consumer unit.
My main switch on the consumer tripped but have since found out that this was due to a faulty iron.
But the company I bought the spa from are saying it is due to the power going off which has caused the damage to the spa so won’t replace these parts under warranty. I am now trying to get my money back for the repair as I believe under my consumer rights that this problem should be under warranty and that my power going off has nothing to do with the heating problem of the spa
Expert:  Tim JA replied 12 days ago.

I disagree - they didn't say that both failed at the same time. You're inferring that.

When did the power go off, and for how long?

And when did you purchase the spa?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I purchased the spa on 30th July which is when it was delivered.
The power went off on 12th August as the main switch on the consumer unit tripped. Once returning the switch to the on position power was back on. So the power was off for about 30 seconds to a minute at the most
Expert:  Tim JA replied 12 days ago.

Is the main switch an RCD, or a switchfuse?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It is an rcd
Expert:  Tim JA replied 12 days ago.

OK. An RCD can trip at the moment that a heater element fails, because the most common failure mode is for the element insulation to break down and leak current to earth.

There are various things on a PCB that might cause an RCD to trip. Depending on the design, if there was a surge of current when the element shorted to earth then it might cause a component on the PCB to fail. That would be a poor design.

Since you had to pay for both of the new parts, I would expect the contractor to leave them with you, because they are your property. Then you can analyse what happened. If they took them away, then ask them to return the parts. If they cannot return the parts, then tell them that they have stolen the parts, and you expect replacements or a refund of the cost.