350matt
350matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons, worked in the car industry for the last 22 years
12772297

I have a porshe boxter 1998 2.5, was driving along in light

Customer Question

i have a porshe boxter 1998 2.5 , was driving along in light traffic , 45 or 50 mph, felt engine start to loose power , dropped down a gear. ease off on gas, then stopped bogging , more gas bogged again , no idle , or very rough idle , goes up and down , took to garage still there, no air leaks , no codes come up , can you shed any light on subject thanks
Category: Porsche
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i sent you 22 two pounds yesterday , and a question . still I have no answer , if you have no answer please send money back , regards ***** *****
Expert:  350matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello Paul

sorry for the time taken to reply

This sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.
1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

And one other thing to try is to loosen off the fuel filler cap, as there’s a 1 way valve built into the cap to let air into the tank and so prevent a vacuum from being created as the fuel leaves the tank to the engine
If this helps then replace the cap with a new item

Expert:  350matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you