Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

What are the original catalytic converters for a 2002

What are the original catalytic converters for a 2002 Boxster S? 200 cell or 400 cell
JA: Has the vehicle been "scoped out"?
Customer: Standard at the moment but would simply like to replace rusty catalytic converters with new Stainless steel ones but there seems to be several types depending on catalyst cells 100, 200 400
JA: Are you fixing your Boxster yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No my garage will fix it but need to buy correct catalysts
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope thats it thanks
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Need to know best stainless steel catalysts for a 3.2S as there are 100, 200 and 400 cell catalysts

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade, hopefully I can help.

The original spec for the 2002 Boxster S (986) 2.7 L and 3.2 L engines is 400 cell.

The 200 cell would normally be for a sports performance upprage to enhance power but comes at the cost of the emission output.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread, many thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks that is very useful. The big question would you recommend changing to a 400 cell stainless catalyst to replace original rusty one???

Yes I would use the 400 cell stainless steel unit, once fitted you should have no further worries for quit a while.

(in that area anyway).

Steve

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Great that is a big help. Many thanks

Your welcome

Steve

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Excellent information and advice