How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Russell H. Your Own Question
Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Category: Printers
Satisfied Customers: 12035
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
Type Your Printers Question Here...
Russell H. is online now

how do i replace a plastic strip to my printer, it came of

Customer Question

how do i replace a plastic strip to my printer, it came of when printing. MY printer is hp photosmart. product no CN245B model no B110A
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 years ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please identify the plastic strip you are trying to replace in the printer:

Is it by chance a long narrow flat strip with cross-hatching visible when you look through it (or, perhaps, 'striped'-looking, with the stripes going across the strip not along it) ?
Is it also something that was in the area where the carriage goes? and does it have a 'ring' at one end or both ends? or is one end still down in the printer and not available to look at or describe?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi the plastic strip is about .5 wide16inch 41cm long and has a black edge at both ends. On the ends are symbles smily faces, black dot and other symbles.


one end has a slit the other end a smaller slit. it looks like it may have traces of ink its a brown color.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 years ago.
I have absolutely no clue where or what the strip you describe would go (at this point.)

What is the printer doing or not doing when turned On?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was printing, then the paper got jammed, when i lifted the lid were the ink cartriges are i removed the jammed paper then a plastic strip came off and Idon;t now if the printer will work without it. I think it may have something to do with the ink carrige, I have tried to see were it came from, I think it may thread through the carrige not sure.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 years ago.
usually an optical sensor that 'reads' light through the strip, which usually has fine cross-hatching or 'stripes' across it that by blocking the light prove to the printer that the carriage is moving that much...), then when you turn on your printer the classic 'carriage slam' may occur, where the carriage moves violently to one side of the printer (because its motion is not being sensed and thus does not stop short.)

That timing strip - if it is indeed that, and it sounds somewhat like it - needs to be threaded through the carriage first, through an appropriate 'slot' or 'slit' in the carriage going from the left to the right side of it, and then needs to be attached at either end to very near the left and right sides of the printer.

If it is dirty, clean it with something like an alcohol wipe first - it operates optically, so it needs to not be obscured by dust or grime.

If it is broken in any way, it will have to be replaced, of course.

- If there is anything lacking in this answer, please " Reply " letting me know, and I will try to improve upon my answer.
- If this is the Answer that helps with the issue, then rating my Answer positively would be appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you that seems likely but can you give me a detailed step by stem replacing it

Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 years ago.
I suspect from your description of the ends of the plastic strip, that it will need to be replaced.

Normally the ends have an 'eyelet' or 'ring' on the end, possibly just a circle punched in the plastic, that you can put over a hook or the like. Describing the ends as having a 'slit' makes it sound as if both ends were torn off the hook or other support. Does that look like the case? if so, my giving instructions at this point would waste your time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think you could be right. Do you know were I might get one. Sorry for the delay in responding.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry to say that the only sources I can turn up for the 'Encoder Strip' (the actual formal name) say that it is about 90 $ to 100-$-and-up.
Such as this listing for instance:

Unless you think it would be best to get one at any price or in that price range, or unless you think it would be better to get one (take one out of an otherwise not necessarily fully working printer of the same type) as a 'junker' at a reduced price and get this part or parts from it.... this might be a severe enough problem to make replacing the printer a more preferable option.

But the decision as to how to proceed is up to you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you i will try to get one as you suggest

Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if I can be of any further assistance. Or if I have advised you sufficiently, please rate my Answer (or if you cannot apply a rating for whatever reason, please let me know what rating you wish applied to my Answer, and I will see to it that it is done.)