Michelle, Printer Expert
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors

I can't put a new ink cartridge in. Thecarraige has gone to

I can't put a new ink cartridge in. Thecarraige has gone to the right abd stayed there.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you
Please let me know the make and model of the printer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thers noithing else to tell you I opened the front the carraige went to the right and stayed there, it hasn't come back to the middle

is the printer a canon, hp, brother, lexmark, epson. kodak etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

pixmamg2550 or 2450

ok.please follow the below steps remove the cartridge...turn off printer and unplug power cord...manually slide the carriage assembly\ printhead back and forthalso clean the rail against which the assembly slides with a tissue ensuring that there is no ink residue on itmanually move the printhead to far lefton the far right there is a little white plastic tab that is spring loadedjust check that if its not getting jammedpush the tab towards the front of the printerlet me know if carriage moves to the center or seems to be stuck on right
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can't get at the cartridge - I can't even see it

use a flash light and check below the you see any foreign object that may cause any obstruction that can jam its movementalso check if any white plastic that is spring loaded is visibleif yes push it outwards and then check if the carriage moves
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Noi theres nothing blocking it and can't see any white plastic

was there any jam recently on the printer and is the printer flashing any error code
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no it has been working perfectly,there is an orange light flashing by the triangle

Please remove any paper from the printerunplug power cordkeep the ON button on printer pressed for 10 secswait for 2 minsplug in power cord and turn on let me if it still does the same thing or changes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Done that - still flashing 3 times then a pause

ok so now instead of 21 flashes, its 3 flashesis that correct
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

21? Its been only 3 flashes all the time

i am sorry with the error in number of flashes i mentioned above
the 3 flashes indicate an internal jam within the printer .however just to be sure let me know that on your computer when you try to print something does it give an error with a support code number
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so can it be fixed? or is it cheaper to buy a new one

i will let you know the options available..let me know if you see any support code on the computer when you try to print
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no number

ok no problemshow old is the printer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

About a year 18 months something like that

the error flashes indicate a mechanical jam within the printer. Fixing this would involve disassembling the printer and clearing the jamhad the printer been within a year of purchase the service and parts would have been covered under warranty and would have been done by Canon at no chargehowever, considering the service costs and in case a sensor has failed. sensor replacements can be very costlyit would be best to opt in for a new unit as a repair would cost you almost equal to buying a new printer i hope you understand that in case of mechanical jams, i can suggest reset sequences but cannot clear a jam that requires opening the printer assembly Let me know if you have any questions Please click on a smiley face below or stars above to complete the rating if your question has been answered
Thanks for choosing just answer