Sudipto
Sudipto, Engineer
Experience:  DIploma in Computer Hardware
15197395

Epson printer won't connect with iMac. was working fine then

epson printer won't connect with iMac. was working fine then changed internet supplier. Ive redownloaded driver and now get filter failed, was getting connection.
Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: WF-3520. guess about 5 years
Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: iMac running OS X 10.10.5
Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just started trying to print today - we;ve moved house and changed internet supplier/router
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Printer Technician should know?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
By the way I've tried with ethernet cable as well as wifi.

Hi, I'm Sudipto. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP

You said that you are facing this problem after you changed your ISP, do they have changed the wireless router or modem also?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
new router (BT)

OK, did you reconnected the printer to the new router?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
as far as I can tell. The iMac is working fine on it. The printer wifi wizard won't find a connection although it seems to be picking upwifi ok. I've been thru manual wifi set upon printer putting in router address 198 etcetera but no difference.Im also trying printing now with ethernet cable into printer so not wifi but no diff.

Ok, follow the steps below on your printer and let me know, what options do you see on the printer display?

1. Press the home button, if necessary.
2. Press the left arrow button to select Wi-Fi Setup and then press OK.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
OK
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
auto connect
set up wizard
push button
PIN code
wifi networkstatus
disable wifi

OK, first check the wifi network status and let me know.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Connection WiFi 1Mbps
Signal Fair
Obtain IOP add Auto

OK, the signal seems to be little weak, it should be strong. Now, press the back button and select PIN CODE from the list and let me know, what do you see?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Enter PIN into router utility within 2 mins 14440793

OK, can you take the printer nearer to the router and check the wifi status?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Not easily - it's on the floor below

Then, how do you have connected the printer to the router by the ethernet cable?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No - its connected to the Mac.I'd be quite happy to be able to print via cable if wifi's going to be a problem.

You cannot directly connect the printer to the computer by the ethernet cable, you have to use a USB cable then and your printer was unable to find the network because the signal strength was not strong.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Understood. I don't have a cable with a USB at both ends though so that could be the end of it tonight! Just to get it straight, you say that if I connect a uSB to Mac and printer it should work?If I want to get the printer to work on wifi, do you think I should get a booster of some sort? What is best?

See, if the printer is near your computer then, there is no need to use the signal booster or wifi extender, you can just use the USB cable to connect the printer. Now, if you need the wifi feature then, it will be best to keep the printer near the router and connect it to the router as you can print from anywhere in your home, it is not necessary to keep the printer near the computer. But, in both the cases, either you use wifi or USB, you have to reinstall the printer software. Let me know if you need any further information otherwise, please remember to give a positive rating, as that is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.

If you want to use USB cable then, ask for printer USB cable in store.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
OK, Thanks for your help. Last question - Where do I rate you?p.s. my wife is giving me huge grief for staying up late to do this but I think it's worthwhile.

Thanks for the rating, let me know if you face any problem.