Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

It wont pick up the paper Assistant: What's the exact make

Customer Question

it wont pick up the paper
Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: HP Photosmart 7510 and its about 2-3 years old
Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I am running windows 10. but I have been trying to use it for copying
Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I was taken seriously ill 6 weeks ago and was rushed to hospital. The printer was left on all the time I was in the hospital...2 weeks in total
Assistant: Is there anything else the Printer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: not really. I did wonder if the ink had dried up and this was preventing it from working
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have no documents to send
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How long do I have to wait for an answer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your printer question.

That could be owing to a number of problems.

If it isn't feeding paper in, that could be owing to rollers. If it is feeding paper through but putting nothing on the paper, that is a different problem.

- For the first problem, not feeding paper:

If the problem might possibly be owing to aging roller surfaces (for paper is fed into faxes and printers with rubber or plastic cylindrical rollers, that propel the sheet into or through the machine)... then you might need to clean the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not happening.

Remove all paper from the machine, unplug it, and open it so as to have access to the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not being done properly.
Take a clean high-quality lint-free rag cloth, moisten it with rubbing alcohol, and rub the rollers firmly all over their paper-contacting surfaces, three times over.

(If the rollers are hard to reach, there is another way to clean them... let me know if that is the case, and I will detail how to do the cleaning.)

Allow 5+ minutes for drying-off, then reload the paper, close up the machine where you opened it up, and then try again.

- For the second problem:

I think you should try a certain cleaning procedure that I have found effective, first.

In outline:
1. Clean the printhead. (Use the menu function or Maintenance function under Setup / Settings.)
2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)
This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.
3. Clean the printhead a second time.
4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.
5. Clean the printhead a third time.
Then test whether black ink is showing up at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead.

After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)

So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)

- If there is anything lacking in this answer, please " Reply To Expert " letting me know, and I will try to improve upon my answer.
- If this is the Answer that helps with the issue, then rating my Answer positively would be appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Neither of these answers worked

OK... now I have to know a bit more, please, before I can offer further help for this problem:

1. is the paper now loaded in the printer, normal for its usual use?

2. where is the paper loaded?

3. is there anything unusual about the program(s) you are trying to print from, or the document(s) you are trying to print?

4. what error message is returned by the printer, when it fails to pick up the paper, please?

5. and, where does that error message appear, on the printer itself, or on the computer screen?