cvd4311
cvd4311, Computer Analyst
Experience:  I have worked on printers at my job for over 7 years.
20109878

I can't get the cartridges to click into place in an HP 5540

printer after replacing them
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Are those the steps that you tried to insert ink cartridges. Make sure once you put them in that you turn off the printer then turn back on. And use actual HP cartridges (sometimes if you try a compatible one it sometimes will not fit or even print)

1. Turn on the printer.

2. Open the ink cartridge access door by placing two fingers under one or both of the small handles on the sides of the ink cartridge access door, and then lift up.

3. Lightly press down on the low or empty ink cartridge to release it.

4. Pull the ink cartridge toward you out of its slot

5. Slide the new ink cartridge into the empty slot, and then gently push up on the ink cartridge until it snaps into place.

6. Close the ink cartridge access door.

7. Touch OK.

8. Wait for the printer to calibrate and align the ink cartridges.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the problem is not with the cartridges. the cartridges won't click into place. i've googled all your advice previously so it's not what you think.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've already paid £20 for your help- I don't want to pay anymore for you to tell me i need to take the printer to a repair shop.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I thought you may be able to tell me what I can do to get the cartridges to click into place. The black one will click but when I try to click the colour one into place they both pop out
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I thought you may be able to tell me what i can do to get the cartridges to click into place. The black one will click but when i try to click inthe colour one into place they both pop out.

Please take a flashlight and look inside the seating for the cartridges and make sure there is nothing in there to make them spring back out.

I only asked so that I can make sure that you have already done the above first. Keep me posted if you see anything at all. And also make sure there is nothing on ink cartridges as far as plastic or paper.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've done all that but I will have another look.

Also are you using the correct ink cartridges for that HP printer? Make sure there is no ink dripping out of cartridges and stainking the carriage where it sits. Take an alcohol queue tip and gently wipe the carriage out, just in case there is something in there.

If that doesn't work, try the instructions below but please be very careful not to break the arm:

Try to bend the plastic arm outward from the cartridge. After the arm is bent outward about 1 inch, the cartridge should "click" into the slot.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am using hp cartridges. What do you mean by the plastic arm?

Did you try seating the other ink cartridges before you seat the blank one?

Plastic arm by the ink carriage. You should be able to bend it a little bit so that the ink cartridge can set in there.

There is a plastic arm on each side of the ink cartridge in the carriage, bend them slightly and gently to see if the ink cartridge will snap in place. Also leave the black ink cartridge for last. Go from right to left when inserting them.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Whew. Got there at last. Bending the arm did the trick. Still not happy with the printer but fixed for now. Thanks for your patience.

You are very welcome and glad we got through it. Sometimes it happens on a very few of them.

Please RATE 4 stars or above and i will close the ticket.