Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a pixma iP 4950 and it is flashing green and orange

Customer Question

I have a pixma iP 4950 and it is flashing green and orange alternatively
Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the Pixma is? And has this happened before?
Customer: This is the first time, and the printer is at least 6-7 years old.
Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I am currently using a PC
Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: So this morning I tried to get it to turn on, and it wasn't I played with the power lead in the back of the printer it turned on, but now with the flashing lights I described
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Printer Technician should know?
Customer: Hmmm I believe this is the main issue. I have full ink and paper, I have never had issue with it before
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your Canon printer question.

That is called a 'flash code'... older Canon printers show them, to allow you to diagnose what the problem is.

Please count the pattern in the flashes: green how many times, alternating with orange how many times? and Reply, let me know, and I will be able to give you some specifics, hopefully, on what is wrong with the printer... and if we're lucky, some indication as to what to try to fix the problem, if it can be fixed without sending or taking it to a repair shop.

Meanwhile - without knowing the flash code, I cannot tell what's wrong, but it's a likely guess that the printer might be 'broken', and need said trip to a repair shop. Flash codes are not (generally) shown for minor problems or issues like paper being out or the like.

And small wonder, given that the printer is about 7 years old, if it is indeed severely 'broken' in its electronic workings. (7 years for this sort and make of printer, is a good long-ish lifetime, in case you are not sure.)

So let me know the count of flashes of each color in Reply, and I will help and advise you further.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As mentioned above, the flashcode is green (power) and orange (resume/cancel) alternating. There is no particular number of times this occurs, it just flashes back and forth. I looked at the Canon site earlier, and it recommended for this unplugging the printer from the computer, then the power source... leaving it a bit that way, then plugging it back in. No luck. :/

I'm sorry to hear that - it's the most basic flash code there is.

Your printer is basically indicated as 'broken with an unknown error'.

I suggest leaving it unplugged overnight or at least 20 minutes, if this problem has not already persisted for a whole day or from yesterday.

I also suggest opening it, making sure the cartridges are all well-seated in their places in the carriage, and examining to make sure nothing is loose in the interior that might jam up the works - paper scraps, or loose parts that came loose, etc.

After that... it's 7 years old, broken, and probably best replaced rather than repaired... but, it's up to you.

(If you're done with the case at this point, please rate my answer, using the five-star rating interface at the top. Thanks! and good luck... if you need any other help, though, just Reply and I will help you further.)