Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

Epson Workforce WF3640

Epson Workforce WF3640

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Can you tell me what specific problem/symptom you're having with the epson, Richard?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
uneven streaky printing with poor colours, every few lines the printing is uneven I have tried cleaning the print-heads and using the alignment adjusters but that does not help

Thank you for confirming,

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try, again, going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print any better, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2014 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Nathan

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
ok
the printer is about 18 months old I think,

Okay, 14 is when it was made, but yes you may certainly have bought it more recently. The warranty is only a year, but if you registered it with epson when purchased they will often extend it to 2. Still try the repeated cleaning though, and beyond that you can file a warranty claim with epson, and if they won't cover it, then you are best off replacing it at that point.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
that is it?

Realistically, yes. This is a common symptom, with a very specific hardware related cause.

There are some additional manual cleaning steps we can try too if you wish, but again they have a very low chance of success and generally aren't worth the time and mess.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
ok fair enough. My Partner bought the same model a few months before I did and is now having the same problems so what you say is probably correct. Pity it is a fine printer though I use it as much for scanning as printing!

You can always keep using it for scanning functions, but that is a fairly common service life for inkjet printers.

If looking for a replacement, I’d still recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They are the best of the brands when it comes to inkjets, Example: http://amzn.to/1nxc4II or http://amzn.to/1nxc8Z5

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1nxcejv

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/1nxcpv2

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1nxcnn0

Lasers will never have this type of issue.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
ok thanks very much for your help

You're very welcome!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen to conclude our session. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.
Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,
Nathan