JamesI
JamesI, Engineer
Experience:  With over 15 years in the IT industry I can answer your questions about thermal, laser and deskjet printers.
75967336

Have just cleaned the print head on my Canon Pixma MP990 and

Have just cleaned the print head on my Canon Pixma MP990
and now the screen says wrong print head!

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

How have you cleaned the print head Barry?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
With Warm water

Ok did in inject water into the print head, or just dab the print head with clotting paper, at any time did the ribbon cable with the contacts on get wet?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Gentle running water and yes I guess the ribbon cable did get wet a little
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello, are we still in touch or have we finished please?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can someone respond please, it's been 45 minutes since my last response to your question

Hi Barry, sorry for the delay this isnt an immediate service.

Did you remove any excess water before putting it back in the printer?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for getting back, yes I dabbed it with a lint free cloth and used a hand blower to get rid of any excess drops

In that case its unlikely to have shorted the printer PCB but likely water got into the IC on the print head, so your looking at a new print head I am afraid.

Give me a short while to see where you can source a replacement, however in most cases its often cheaper to buy a new printer than replace the print head from experience.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK, I have researched printer heads because it was not a cheap printer in the first place. Would there be any merit in waiting for it to dry out a while?

The part number for the print head is QY6-0078-000, the cheapest I have located one is ebay here for just under £50, however though it says new I think its likely to be a reconditioned one (looking at the price), failing that Amazon do a new one for around £105 here.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you James for you help

The fact the print head is going to be replaced if it doesnt work I would suggest it is worth removing it and letting it dry out, the risk in doing so is it can cause ink to dry and causes blockages. However its worth a try before spending £50-100 on a replacement.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That's how I'm beginning to see it. There was a mark that was appearing on all my Photographs so I had to do something about it, it was worth a try Thanks again

Another thing which is worth checking is just to see if any debris has got on the carriage contacts, as if water did get onto them and dry that could cause the issue, switching the printer off and cleaning them with ethanol or white spirit on a cotton bud may improve, but 90% of the time its the print head at fault.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, good call

Do come back to let me know if drying the print head works, as its always useful to see if the 1 in 10 chances pay off or not.

Appreciate if you can rate the service using the star rating at the top of the page, and by all means come back any time in next 30 days if you think of anything else about the issue you wish to run passed us.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK, will do