Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a CanoScan 4400F which I'm using to scan slides with

I have a CanoScan 4400F which I'm using to scan slides with VueScan 9.6.34. The light for the flatbed is working but the one in the lid for viewing transparencies now fails to come on
JA: What device is not powering up?
Customer: Canoscan 4400F - but it does power up - the flatbed light comes on - the other in the lid seems to have failed
JA: How long have you had your 4400F?
Customer: About 10 years at least!
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: What can I try? Is there a way to get at the lamp or do I need to take it to a shop?
JA: The Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so - it was working fine 2 days ago

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Unless your scanner needs to have its driver set on the computer replaced - which might possibly help with the transparency scanning function - then it will need repair.

Not so much because the light for the transparency scanning cannot be replaced, as owing to there being no available replacement for that light... I have searched for it and found no source for such a replacement.

Would you like a guide in detail to trying the replacement of scanner drivers on your computer? if so, please tell me whether you have an Apple or a Windows pc.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you. I have checked the driver position and am sure its not that. We've had the scanner a long time and if the light can't be replaced I'll sadly have to chuck it.

That would be a shame. But after 10 years? well, you might want to donate it to some school or other establishment that could use a scanner and does not need transparency or slide scanning any more than it need ostrich feathers. ? It's just a thought.

A thought: be sure you have a scanner that you can buy, that does transparencies also... otherwise you may as well keep this one, or even have it repaired. I'm not sure that slide scanning is hard to find nowadays, but it's something to consider.

Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com. Please have a good day.