JakeUK
JakeUK, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  IT Services, 10 Years Experience, Bsc Business IT, MCSA, PRINCE2, CompTia (A+,Network+,Server+,Security+)
105381324

I have had a TR8550 printer for about 2 years. It has just

I have had a TR8550 printer for about 2 years. It has just recently started clanking after printing even a short document and then I can hear it recharging the ink cartridges. I accept that it needs to recharge periodically but not after each short print.
JA: What's the brand and model of your printer?
Customer: It is a Canon Pixma TR8550
JA: How long has this been going on with your printer?
Customer: About 10 days
JA: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?
Customer: I have Windows 10 with aautomatic updates. I can't remember when it last updated
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you
Good afternoon. How are you?
If I may ask a couple of questions to begin with, just so that I can get a better understanding.
How often do you use the printer? Do you know when the last tim The ink cartridges were replaced? Jake
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I use it three or four times a day. I replace each cartridge as required
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I have to go out. I shall be back in just under an hour
Thanks, ***** ***** problem. We can continue to investigate this later. Just one final question, are there any error messages appearing on the printer screen or pc screen following your print?There are a few potential issues that might be causing this. I suggest we run through some of the printer maintenance tasks to see if any of them resolve the issue. When you return I can guide you through these.
As you have had the printer a couple of years, and use it a number of times per day, there is also the possibility that the issue is with a physical part of the printer. The nature of printers is that they have a lot of moving parts, some of which wear out after a significant number of uses. If none of the maintence tasks we will run through so anything to resolve the issue, you may need to either take it to a local repair shop, or consider replacing it.
Let me know when you are back and we can see what can be done!
Jake
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I am back. No error message appears. I accept that it sounds a bit like a physical problem.
Let’s try this first. Can you ensure there is some paper in the printer feeder, then select SETUP, MAINTENANCE, DEEP CLEANING. Then follow the prompts. Thanks, Jake
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Done that. It says it has done the print head alignment after I scanned the paper that was printed.
Ok. There are a few other cleaning options under maintenance too, such as AUTO HEAD ALIGNMENT,ROLLER CLEANING, and BOTTOM PLATE CLEANING. We may as well run each of those too?
The prompts on screen should help guide through each of those. Following them, are you able to try a new normal print and see if the issue is still happening? Thanks, Jake
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know how to do roller cleaning or bottom plate cleaning. By the way every time I get a print from previous operations I get the mechanical noise.
Ok. I very much doubt either of those cleaning cycles would resolve that problem anyway. So after the first clean attempt you are still getting the mechanical noise?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm afraid so.
It does sound to me that something has worn out, which would mean replacement parts are required. My experience suggests that replacing a consumer printer is more cost effective than having it repaired, to be honest, as they range from £30 to £100 on amazon.
I am trying to think of there is anything else we can try remotely but without taking the printer to pieces to see what part might be at fault it may be a lengthy process. Would you like me to look into this further?
Jake
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess that you are right - I shall have to replace the printer. Thank you very much for your help. I don't think you can really help me any more.
Ok, well please do follow up if there is anything else, or if you need any recommendations?
Pleasure talking to you, Jake