Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a Canon C300 and Canon C100 Mk II, both of which seem

Hi there! I have a Canon C300 and Canon C100 Mk II, both of which seem to have a timecode issue that I'm having huge problems trying to resolve. I have been in touch with Canon directly and they have been no help at all! Wondering if you can, or if not, point me in the right direction to get help.
JA: How long have you had your C300?
Customer: Neither of the cameras sync correctly to sound I am recording on Zoom H1 recording devices. This causes havoc with editing. Both the cameras are recording 4% slower than the Zoom H1's. I also have two Canon 70D cameras that sync perfectly with the same Zoom H1 devices. I bought both the C100 and C300 second hand, maybe two years ago...
JA: Who makes your camera?
Customer: They are both Canon
JA: What have you tried so far with your camera?
Customer: I've gone through all settings and menus in both cameras trying to find something that relates to timecode but have found nothing. Also spent hours watching YouTube videos (!) seeking help, but nothing has. That's when I contacted Canon and they were no help at all.
JA: Anything else you want the Camera Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I found one YouTube video that appeared to re-sync the cameras by connecting them to a piece of expensive looking equipment (no idea what it was!) but I've no idea if that would be the answer to the problem...

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your camera question.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi!

That might be a defect in such camera as model #s (c100 and c300). Or it might be that they both need to be updated to the latest version of firmware for their exact model, from canon's site not any other - and carefully! a firmware update done the least bit sloppily can ruin a good camera quite badly... and expensively.

Or, you might need to record audio on the same device that you record video.

Or, you might need to use better cameras period - e.g. the ones you said do fine Vs. the Zoom H1s, the canon 70D ones... to eliminate this problem.

I doubt it is a defective-camera issue though... they are both of one model series, and 2 other cameras from the same maker but a much different model series, are fine.

One last thought: are the cards you are shooting video onto, fast enough? if there is delay is saving data to them, it might just slow down the video just that much! fast memory cards are expensive for sure, but if you'd rather use the two cameras with the problem, there is the most likely solution to the problem if you must use them! I recommend that to your attention for sure.

- Does this answer your question in full? I hope so! but if you need other details, just Reply and we'll work on them further.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's nearly midnight here so I'll try what you have suggested tomorrow. Many thanks for your reply!

Why, you're welcome! Good night. Tomorrow's time enough, I'm sure. Thank you.