Shaz Yousaf
Shaz Yousaf, Consultant
Experience:  MSc Computer Networks & Security
104442872

It's been performing patchily for a few weeks. Often doesn't

It's been performing patchily for a few weeks. Often doesn't turn on. Seems to try to turn on this morning, the front door opens but the screen doesn't light up and it can't respond to print orders from my laptop. It's an Envy 120 series, C5DA66.
JA: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your laptop?
Customer: Mojave
JA: Does your laptop make any noise when rebooted? Are any of the LED lights on?
Customer: No lights on. It makes a short bleep and the door opens but then closes again
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all I can say at present as I don't know any technicalities

Welcome to JustAnswer! I’m Shaz, a professional IT expert. I have over 8 years of experience in the industry with a Master’s Degree in Computer Networks and Security. I will be assisting you today.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK what can you tell me about the problem I have described?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No thanks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
we can talk online here

Please ignore any remote session offers the website offers them automatically.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok

When you say a lot of the time it does not turn on are you suggesting no power at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's unpredictable. It's connected to power. I have tried switching off and on again. Right now I am trying to print important documents and it's completely black with no lights. It tries to switch on, the door opens, but then it shuts off again

Ok, when you say it shuts off is it like someone has pulled the power on the printer or does it shut down as if the power button was held on the printer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The lights never come on. There is a short beep, the door opens as if it's about to start printing but then the door closes again.

Ok, is it a single short beep?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It must be connected to power as things move. No lights though.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
a single short beep

Ok, one moment

Do you use a power strip (Power extension cable) or surge protector?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No it's just the power cable that came with the printer. It has worked well since I bought it seven years ago.

Ok fine. To be totally honest their is very little we can do in trouble shooting as its either going to be a faulty power supply or the printer is going to be beyond repair where the symptoms suggest a hardware failure.

We can try a hardware reset; pull the power on the printer as it beeps. Once doing so wit 5min and then power back on. If this makes no difference you will need to try an alternative power supply. If the problem persists then it will mean the printer has developed an internal hardware failure.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK we'll leave it there. I'll try that and if it doesn't work I'll have to think about a repair or a new printer. Thanks for trying to help.

Sorry i could be of more help the situation is unfortunate. Do let me know how you get on. I would appreciate if you could select the 5 stars for my service today.

Many Thanks,

Shaz