Benjie
Benjie, Printer
Experience:  Computer and IT Support Engineer
102836769

The ink absorber is full on my canon MG5250 printer. I found

the ink absorber is full on my canon MG5250 printer. I found instructions online about resetting the counter, but couldn't find the STOP button referred to on my printer.
JA: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?
Customer: toshiba laptop with Windows 10
JA: How long has this been going on with your MG5250?
Customer: a few weeks
JA: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?
Customer: there was an automatic windows 10 update about 2 weeks ago
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of

Hello! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for your question. I'm Benjie and I can help you today.
I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble with your printer.

Unfortunately, the error that you are experiencing is an internal failure which would require repair/replacement.

How old is the printer?

Without the information I requested. I can only give you a general answer, But I hope this helps

Can you please turn off the printer remove the power to the printer unplug it from the power socket.

Then wait 10 minutes,
connect the power again to the printer,
turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and please feel free to reply here in case you need anything else.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry for delay in replying. I don't get up that early! I think the printer must be about 6 years old, but not sure. I have tried unplugging the printer, but it makes no difference. If i need to replace it I thought I would try to get one that uses the same ink cartridges, as most of them are quite new, and I have 1 unopened. However, when I lift the top the print head no longer moves to the centre to enable removal of cartridges. Any suggestions other than breaking it open! Thanks.

Please follow this instruction

Turn the machine off and unplug it.

Then by hand move the print head (cradle) by hand.
It should move freely, if it does not it is damaged.

Move it back and forth across the bar 3 or 4 times.
Then leave it in the middle of the bar.

Plug the machine back in and turn it on.
Give it a minute or two to detect the print head in the middle and recalibrate it.

If still not working.

it is at/past its 6-year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the absorber pad which costs about $85; i. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Apologies for the news,

Benjie

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for the advice. The print head will not move, however, and I'm getting ink all over my fingers!

Canon printers use small, spongy pads to absorb excess ink that accumulates while printing and cleaning the print heads. When these pads are saturated. Cleaning or repairing it will be so messy.

You're welcome