Syseng
Syseng, Engineer
Experience:  Microsoft Certified with over 17 years experience in system integration and development
13852270

I put in a new ink cartridge and it just shows Printer error

I put in a new ink cartridge and it just shows Printer error see Dociumentation. Nothying else. I cannot get menu to show up. Can you help please
JA: Are you getting any error messages? If so, what do they say?
Customer: Just Printer error - see documentation"
JA: The last time you changed your cartridges, did you replace them with new ones or refill the old ones?
Customer: I did try putting the old one back when it came up with the new one so I bought a second new one and still has not changed.
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I need to scan and cannot do that.,

My name is***** that you are having trouble with your printer.

First uninstall all the new ink cartridges and replace them with the old ink cartridges.

Next unplug the power cord, wait three minutes, plug the power cord back in and turn on the printer.

If the error is gone (perhaps there is a low ink error message which is OK because the old cartridges are now installed), replace one old cartridge with one new cartridge then check to see if the error occurs. If not then power down and power up the printer and verify that the error still does not occur.

Then do the same with the remaining cartridges until you find the cartridge causing the error - then swap that cartridge with the old one and proceed to the next new cartridge installation.

Then return every new cartridge that caused the error for a replacement then install those in the same manner and verify the error does not return.

Then run a test print to verify printer operation.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I switched off,put the old one back and it said to replace it but now the error message has come up again with the new cartridge
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Why won't it accept a new cartridge?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What do you suggest now?

Yes I am here

Is the new cartridge genuine from the printer manufacturer or a discount ink cartridge?

Most of the printer manufacturers now include software in their printers to detect cartridges that they did not manufacture or refill. They do not always detect the cartridges as not theirs however it does happen in some cases.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is not genuine but the only one the local electrical store gets in ( 110km from here) and I have had no problems with this brand in 12 months.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would it help to uninstall and reinstall the software?

My apologies - I was not notified of your response.

A software uninstall then reinstall will not fix it because the printer is rejecting the cartridge.

When cartridges are remanufactured there is a reset process they use so that the discount cartridges are not detected by the printer. However, there is a limit to how many times each cartridge can be reset. So most likely the cartridge you have has been reset too many times. I understand that you have a long drive to get a new cartridge however that would be what you need to do to fix the problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. Will an original Epson cartridge work and clear it?

Yes it would

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. I will order one

You're welcome and glad I could help :)