VanHilton M
VanHilton M,
Experience:  Computer Technician/ Sales Clerk at Roniel Jayectin
104802751

My Brother printer has locked my unit out as I am using

my Brother printer has locked my unit out as I am using non-brother inks. Can I get round this please?
JA: What Brother model do you have?
Customer: DCP-J4120DW I have been using generics since the original Brother inks exxpired
JA: How long has this been going on with your Brother printer?
Customer: Since the original inks expired. Bought 2 years ago
JA: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?
Customer: My PC is updated by default. The error message on the PC only started during work two days ago. There is visibly enough ink in the existing cartrdige and a new cartridge is also rejected.
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Simply, can I get round to using generic inks again or do I have to buy VERY expensive brother inks please?

Hi, I am VanHilton M Welcome to JustAnswer premium service, thank you for utilizing this service.

I will be assisting you to fix the issue you are having.

May I know what troubleshooting have you done?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've run the in-built troubleshooter via Windows 10 and in the Brother troubleshooter.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
By email please

May i know what error says when you try to print?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The printer is fired up but asks me to replace the yellow cartridge which visibly has enough ink. Despite this I put in a new cartridge but the printer asked for a "genuine" cartridge.

is your cartridge is genuine?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
email please. Does this query appear before each of your replies please?

you can check your email, you can also reply there.

I want you to try off the printer remove the power cord from the outlet after 5 minutes on it again.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi, I did as you asked and the same image appeared on the printer when re-connected - "cannot print" and asking me to replace the yellow cartridge.

Okay, now I want you to remove all the cartridges off the printer remove the power cord from the outlet after 5 minutes install again the cartridges and on the printer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi again, I did as you asked and got the same response - "use genuine cartridges" . However, I then replaced the yellow cartridge again (the new one) and the printer allowed me to get beyond the error message. Using the printer screen I checked the ink volumes and all stated they were empty. Despite this, I re-instated all the inks again and tried a page print of a saved coloured picture. It worked. I got a perfect print. Hopefully, this will be the last of the error messages. If they recur, I now know how to tackle the problem. Thank you for your advice and patience.

Okay, Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thank You.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks once again, Ben

You're Welcome.