Ameen Khan
Ameen Khan,
Experience:  Senior IT Support Specialist at Brookfield Asset Management
101830517

Laser jet 5 uses a parallel port. I have had to move to a

Laser jet 5 uses a parallel port. I have had to move to a Windows 10 with only USB ports. I have a cable USB at one end and parallel at the other. I can’t get it to work.
JA: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?
Customer: a Dell Inspiron small.
JA: How long has this been going on with your LaserJet?
Customer: I have only just switched to Windows 10. This is the first I have tried to use it. Windows 7 is no longer supported..
JA: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on your jo-1034
Customer: I have only just switched on the Dell Windows 10. The operating system is as of yesterday.
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: To your knowledge and before going to the expert, can you tell me if this is going to be possible with a pre-2010 printer or do I have to buy a new printer.

Hi! My name is Ameen and I'll be assisting you. Secure Remote Assistance is NOT REQUIRED (But Helpful)

I am sorry you are having this concern, I will do my best to help you today.

To answer your question ->

You can get an adaptor to convert the two from Amazon - here it is at this link - https://www.amazon.com/slp/usb-to-parallel-port/rbs9hk4zpydu9cd

-------------

I hope my answer was helpful to you and If you would like more assistance, feel free to message me back. I am here to help you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have already obtained that adapter from Amazon. I did mention that I had a cable with USB at one end and parallel at the other. It does not work.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You should have got my reply. I have the adapter from Amazon. I suspect that I need a printer driver for the Laserjet 5P. A friend did try to install one but it does not seem to work. I cannot find my old manual for the Laserjet.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Need to do other things for a while. Will come back later. Cannot rate anybody until we can solve this.

Yes you will need a printer driver now, if this printer is older than 10 years then chances are there is no driver for Win 10 so you should be prepared, if the current does not allow you to print then its best to invest in a newer printer

--

You're welcome. Pleasure assisting you. Thanks for allowing me to help you out today.