Robert H
Robert H,
Experience:  IT Senior Client Services Engineer at DTE
106466437

My printer will print as normal the 1st time i use it and

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: My printer will print as normal the 1st time i use it and then it is stuck in "printing" mode for several minutes before i can resume printing.
JA: What's the brand and model of your printer?
Customer: HP Deskjet 2622
JA: How long has this been going on with your DeskJet?
Customer: Since I purchased 2 days ago.
JA: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?
Customer: Sorry, do not understand.
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, but it annoying to wait minutes to print.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert H replied 15 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, an independent Question & Answer web portal. My name is Robert and I am happy to be assisting you today! ūüėä

Please note: If you get an offer for premium service please hold off on that for now. That offer is automatically generated by this website, not by me. I can offer you whatever is needed to solve your problem.

Expert:  Robert H replied 15 days ago.

I’m so sorry to hear about your issue. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Step 1: Reset the printer

Resetting the printer can resolve some types of slow printing issues.

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

2. Unplug the power cord from the power source.

3. Wait 60 seconds.

4. Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer.

NOTE:

HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

Try to print. If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Use a different USB cable

Using a USB cable that is too long or improperly shielded can affect print speed.

If the printer is connected with a USB cable, try using a different USB cable, and then try to print. If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Step 3: Check the printer preferences

Selecting certain paper types or printing in Best quality can slow print speeds. Print with plain paper in Normal or Draft quality for faster print speeds.

1. Search Windows for printers, and then click Printers & scanners in the list of results.

2. Click your printer, and then click Manage.

3. Click Printing Preferences.

4. Click the Paper or Paper/Quality tab.

5. In the Type or Paper Type field, make sure Plain Paper is selected.

6. Adjust the print quality.

• HP Inkjet and LaserJet printers:

In the Print Quality field, make sure Draft or Normal is selected.

• HP Laser printers:

Click the Graphics tab, and then click Standard in the Quality field.

7. Click OK or Apply to confirm the changes.

8. Try to print. If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Step 4: Print with both cartridges

Some printer models allow you to print with only one cartridge installed. Printing with only one cartridge causes slower print speed.

Make sure all cartridges are properly installed. Replace empty cartridges as necessary, and then try to print. If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Step 5: Reinstall the print driver

Remove and reinstall the print driver and software to make sure you have the latest version.

1. In Windows, search for and open Add or remove programs.

2. Select your printer in the list, and then click Uninstall.

3. After uninstalling the print driver, go to 123.hp.com, and then follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the latest driver.

4. Try to print. If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Step 6: Check the network status

If your printer is connected to a wired or wireless network, there are several tips that might resolve slow printing issues.

• On your computer, check the wireless signal strength by clicking the wireless connection icon in the Windows task bar. If the signal strength is low, move the router, computer, and printer closer together.

• Make sure there are no additional strains on your network, such as downloading or streaming services. Depending on your bandwidth, these activities can significantly affect print speed.

• If the printer is connected to the network with an Ethernet cable, make sure the cable connections are secure.

• Restart your router by unplugging it, waiting 10 seconds, and plugging it back in.

Step 7: Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

CAUTION:

Do not use or power off the printer or computer while the firmware update is in process.

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, identify your printer, and then look for updates. Download and install any available firmware updates.

For more detailed steps, go to Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.

Thank you very much for your time & patience while I typed up your response. Also, thank you for giving me the chance to help out today.

If there is anything else that I can help with today, please let me know. My goal is to provide excellent service to you!

Robert_IT
(Your friendly expert)

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
There is not a problem with my 1st print of the session. I press print and the result is instant. The problem is waiting for the Pending Mode to clear. Several minutes after I have received my print job the item is still in state of "printing". Even when I attempt to cancel it will show cancel status but will remain so for a few more minutes before pending is clear.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Would prefer not to talk as it would cost nearly as much as the printer.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Robert H replied 15 days ago.

Expert:  Robert H replied 15 days ago.

So there is a delay AFTER printing?