Syseng
Syseng, Engineer
Experience:  Microsoft Certified with over 17 years experience in system integration and development
13852270

Suddenly decided the cartridges are no longer compatible. I

Suddenly decided the cartridges are no longer compatible. I have been using same for ages and even resorted to an original HP one.
JA: What HP model do you have?
Customer: HP Envy 5540
JA: How long has this been going on with your HP printer?
Customer: Couple of weeks
JA: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?
Customer: Never
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

My name is***** to hear you are having trouble with your printer.

Since the printer was just recently working, I recommend a power reset as that will drain errors from memory and may resolve the issue. Unplug the printer power cord and unplug all peripherals. Then leave the printer for about 5 minutes to let all power drain. Then plug the printer power cord into a wall socket (not a surge protector or power strip) and then plug the printer back into all peripherals. Then power up the printer and test to see if the issue is resolved.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks will try that. Can I come back to you if it fails?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No good on phone hard of hearing prefer to type

Yes - if it does not work just let me know - there are other troubleshooting procedures which also address the problem.

No worries - please ignore the automated offers for additional services - those are not from me and are optional.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That didnt make any difference sadly

Ok then next uninstall all the new ink cartridges and replace them with the old ink cartridges.

Next unplug the power cord, wait three minutes, plug the power cord back in and turn on the printer.

If the error is gone (perhaps there is a low ink error message which is OK because the old cartridges are now installed), replace one old cartridge with one new cartridge then check to see if the error occurs. If not then power down and power up the printer and verify that the error still does not occur.

Then do the same with the remaining cartridges until you find the cartridge causing the error - then swap that cartridge with the old one and proceed to the next new cartridge installation.

Then return every new cartridge that caused the error for a replacement then install those in the same manner and verify the error does not return.

Then run a test print to verify printer operation.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you that resolved the problem

You're welcome and glad I could help :)