Richard, Engineer
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering
32989067

My Canon MG5450 has just had a paper jam. I have managed to

Hi Russell,My Canon MG5450 has just had a paper jam. I have managed to remove one crumpled sheet, and two thirds of a second one. I am ata loss as to how to remove the rest of the jam. I have removed the lid at the back, and have lifted the flap at the front which gives access to the cartridges. I can't see any sign of the jamed paper from either the front or back. I can't see how to dismantle it anymore either. Are you able to suggest any course of action I could take please?RegardsRichard

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Please follow the steps here to remove the paper jam

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/ErrorCode/MG5500%20series/EN/ERR/err_other0100.html

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Richard, thanks for your response. I have managed to remove some of the jammed paper by sliding the print head to a different position. There is still paper trapped underneath rollers. It is not possible to get hold of it due to the lack of space. I have used a pair of pliers which enable me to get hold of some of the paper, but it tends to pull and rip. I am wondering about switching the printer on to see if the rollers will rotate and perhaps eject the trapped buts. What do you think to this, or is there anything else I can try.RegardsRichard

Try to switch it on and see if it then moves please

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Richard,The rollers do rotate when it is switched on, but the paper still doesn't move forward at all. I guess it is crumpled up behind teh rollers and so is not moving.Sorry, but can't afford the £21.00 for telephone call.RegardsRichard

You will need to keep trying to get the paper out sorry Richard, there is no other way

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi again, I think it is resolved. My wife managed to pull a section of paper out - she has smaller fingers. Have just put a piece of card which is stiffer than paper through. This went through the paper path, and pushed out a small (couple of mm) piece which hopefully is the last bit. I will carry on putting the card through a few more times in case there are more tiny bits. It seems strange that there is no way of getting inside the printer to resolve these problems, but as I purchased it in 2013 and it has never happened before perhaps it is not needed.Thank you for your help. I will click the Excellent star at the top.

Glad to hear, nice work and enjoy your weekend.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I have a follow up question concerning the same Canon MG5450 printer. Since replacing the ink cartridges a fortnight or so ago the cyan and magenta have not been working. I raised this with my cartridge supplier, and they very kindly sent me replacements - from a different manufacturer. But these also didn't work. I have run numerous 'deep clean' cycles all to no avail. The black and yellow inks work just fine. I am wondering if taking the print head out and giving it a clean might solve the problem. Do you have a view as to whether this is worth doing?RegardsRichard

Can you remove the ink from the printer then power it off.

then using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.

Then use a damp cloth and wipe down the inside of the printer.

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it then prints correctly please

This will also allow you to see if any foreign objects are in the printer which may cause this.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thanks Richard. We don't have any Q-Tips, but were able to improvise. With the cartridges removed I could see small (3mm diameter) sponges which convey the ink from the cartridges to the rest of the print mechanisms. I was able to verify that these were not dried up, as the colour transferred itself to my tissue when lightly touched. These are very far back in the printer, I don't really want to introduce water into it. I can see no easy way of removing the print head, so it looks as if I will have to abandon this attempt. I will purchase a new printer - but can't yet as there are no stocks of the one I want anywhere in the country. Probably a fall out from Brexit. Anyway, thank you again for your help.

You are welcome

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi Richard, I did view your answer when it was sent yesterday - but your system thinks I havent.