Benjie
Benjie, Printer
Experience:  Computer and IT Support Engineer
102836769

I have an HP Envy 5532 which has stopped printing in black,

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have an HP Envy 5532 which has stopped printing in black, the paper churns out but with nothing on it!
JA: Does your printer have a self-cleaning feature? (If so, you may have to run this several times to see results.)
Customer: How would I find that please?
JA: The Printer Technician will be able to walk you through that. When did you last replace the ink or toner? Have you tried wiping down the metal contacts on your printer and cartridges (if applicable)?
Customer: Not sure about replacing the cartridge, they send me one and I put it in. I've not wiped anything down, there is a big band running into the cartridge area but I have not touched it
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No not really, it seems to be enough of a problem to start with! Thanks
Category: Printers
Expert:  Benjie replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for your question. I'm Benjie and I can help you today.
I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

What have you done so far to troubleshoot the problem?
Please share them with me so we don't repeat them

Expert:  Benjie replied 1 year ago.

Without the information I requested. I can only give you a general answer, but I hope this helps
--

please turn off the printer remove the power to the printer unplug it from the power socket?

Then wait 10 minutes,
connect the power again to the printer,
turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Once done, please restart the computer

If that does not work, remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes, and turns it ON

If still not working, then you might need to replace cartridge on your printer

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and please feel free to reply here in case you need anything else. Thank you!