K Dismas
K Dismas, Engineer
Experience:  Developer/Programmer/Computer Technician
104540271

I recently got a new router. My printer(MG3500) can’t

Customer Question

I recently got a new router. My printer(MG3500) can’t connect with it. I have tried several times using the WPS button on the router. Am I supposed to put in the new password ***** if so where? (The printer works fine with usb cable to pc.)
JA: How are you connecting to your printer: wirelessly or by USB?
Customer: Wirelessly
JA: When did you last update the printer driver software?
Customer: probably not for a while. How do I do that?
JA: The Printer Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don’t think so
Category: Printers
Expert:  K Dismas replied 12 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer! My name is***** am sorry for the trouble you are facing right now.
But, I'll do my best to help you with your concern.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I just need some answers- does the printer need the new password ***** the router, and if so how do I do that? And do I need to update the printer driver software?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
They seem fairly basic questions. Any chance of a simple answer?
Expert:  K Dismas replied 12 days ago.

I know how frustrating it is for you, but in your case, you need a printer driver install on your computer to use the printer.

Please consider doing the following:
1. Make sure your printer is connected to your computer with the same network thru a USB or WiFi connection.
2. You may also restart and reset your printer wireless network from the printer display panel then reconnect it. Your printer supports a 2.4Ghz wireless network so make sure your router is also set in this frequency.
3. Download and install the printer driver software. Kindly use the link below.
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mg-series-inkjet/mg3520/pixma-mg3520

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The printer driver software is installed - I have been using the printer for several years.
1. I am trying to establish the WiFi connection - that is the problem.
2. The printer doesn’t have a display panel.
Expert:  K Dismas replied 12 days ago.

In that case, you need to reconnect the printer and computer connection especially if you have changed or have new router settings.

If that won't work you may also try a WPS connection.

I recommend that you watch this video tutorial for a complete visual reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8Fdar2FhWA

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have watched the video, and followed it. I had already tried that several times. No luck.
Expert:  K Dismas replied 12 days ago.

Are you able to connect the printer and the computer to the same network?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
That’s what I am trying to do. My question was - do I need to give the new router password ***** the printer, and if so how do I do it without a display on the printer.
Expert:  K Dismas replied 12 days ago.

You can connect your printer thru a USB connection or wireless connection.

In a wireless connection thru WPS (WiFi Protected Setup), you can connect even without a password.

Expert:  K Dismas replied 11 days ago.

Hello, it looks that you are unable to respond. I hope you are able to follow the instructions I provided you. I hope that works and is able to solve your problem. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you. Thank you very much.